a tale of two systems.....

mark123can

which one of these two laptops do you guys think is best and why ?

fujitsu siemens amilo a1630 3700+
1024gb ram ati radeon mob 9700 128mb
80gb hd
15.4" 1280x800 wxga
dvd dual layer
wi-fi
life=2 hours

amilo m3438g 1.73
512 ram
goforce 6800 256mb
80gb hd
17" 1440x900 wxga
dvd dual layer
wi-fi
life=2 hours

I like the m because its bigger screen for dvds and stuff,dont really play games but i like the amd because its 64 bit and faster with 1 gb ram,is there is a big speed differnce in these computers? and which would you choose?

Last edited:

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Definitely the second one

I would most dfinitely go for the second one (amilo m3438g 1.73) because as you have rightfully noted, it should perform far better. You could buy an extra 512MB stick of RAM for it anyway. It has the same battery life so if you have the finance available to get it, it would be a better investment in terms of performance and "up-to dateness" ;).

JAN :D

ckfordy

banned
the pentium m 1.6 is as fast as a pentium 4 2.4 so the pentium m 1.7 should be as fast as a pentium 4 2.6 or 2.8

alanuofm

VIP Member
Where are you egtting this information?

pentium M's are clock efficient.

which one of these two laptops do you guys think is best and why ?

fujitsu siemens amilo a1630 3700+
1024gb ram ati radeon mob 9700 128mb
80gb hd
15.4" 1280x800 wxga
dvd dual layer
wi-fi
life=2 hours

amilo m3438g 1.73
512 ram
goforce 6800 256mb
80gb hd
17" 1440x900 wxga
dvd dual layer
wi-fi
life=2 hours

I like the m because its bigger screen for dvds and stuff,dont really play games but i like the amd because its 64 bit and faster with 1 gb ram,is there is a big speed differnce in these computers? and which would you choose?

since you do not do any gaming, i would go with the cheaper laptop. speedwise they will both suit your needs and are both fast laptops. however if you do look into games in the future the second laptop has the dominating video card hands down. and whats the battery size on the second one? it should get more than 2 hours unless its a 4 or 6 cell.

flame1117

banned
alanuofm said:
pentium M's are clock efficient.

AMD64 said:
do some research on pentium m cpus thats how i found out

That wasn't my question....I seroisly wanted to know....people keep assuming what you mean and dont pay attention to what the actull question is.

alanuofm

VIP Member
flame1117 said:
That wasn't my question....I seroisly wanted to know....people keep assuming what you mean and dont pay attention to what the actull question is.

remember that handy tool called google?

Thomas23

Hey so a pentium M will take up more battery life? If so alunform can the computor you made for me on my thread use a pentium M. I will proably have power, but i still want like at least 1.5 to 2 hours of battery life

X24

Well, here is how it goes
a pm is the best mobile processor in terms of battery life and power.
a pm 1.6 will be about equal to a pm 2.8-3.0 and 1.7 a 3.0-3.2
the amd will be better preformance except if u want to play video games, but still the second will deffinatley give u enough power for evrything u want to do.
so i'd go for cheapest, or if u want better battery the 2nd

alanuofm

VIP Member
X24 said:
Well, here is how it goes
a pm is the best mobile processor in terms of battery life and power.
a pm 1.6 will be about equal to a pm 2.8-3.0 and 1.7 a 3.0-3.2
the amd will be better preformance except if u want to play video games, but still the second will deffinatley give u enough power for evrything u want to do.
so i'd go for cheapest, or if u want better battery the 2nd

i wouldn't go that far to saying its a p4 2.8-3.0 unless your saying the p4-m. benchmark shows the pentium M 2.0 which is the 770 to operate along the level of the pentium 4 530.

no doubt pentium M's are great processors and would give you performance a long with battery life.

toms hardware overclocked the pentium M 770 to 2.46 ghz and it dominating farcry, doom, xvid encoding, etc vs the pentium 5xx, 6xx, and the fx53 along with a few other cpus.