A thunderstom (crazy one) right now

Punk

Staff member
Im trying to take picture of lightnings, as there is a Kick ass thunderstorm right now with lightning coming down at around 10 seconds interval.

What are your ways of catching them?

My camera is a Olympus D545 Zoom

spanky

continuously take burst fire (not sure what the camera option is called where it takes 3 shots one right after the other) shots?

Punk

Staff member
Yeah I tried it but it takes a lot of the picture's resolution...

The lightning storm is gone, I got some pictures and some surprises for you guys. Get ready to open a bottle of Champagne!

:D

tidyboy21

The best way to take shots of lightning is to open the shutter for as long as you can, if you use any "burst" the shutter will open and close in a fraction of a second which is only used in light conditions and will probably be to fast to catch lightning. I think that your camera will only open for 4 seconds.

Last edited:

tidyboy21

Yes in night mode right?

That’s entirely up to you, but you will get the best results in normal mode as all night mode does really is invert shadows and highlights. Plus you will tend to get more of a black and white pic that the great purple lights in lightning.

tidyboy21

Unfortunately we don't get much lightning where I live (Cornwall, UK) so I can't really show you any examples. Do a Google image search for lightning, you will come across some very impressive pics.