A Very Strange Bug in My System...

dangerlarson

Using Windows XP, Dimension E521 Desktop, work as a Internet consultant so I'm doubly perplexed on this one. Thought I'd seen it all...

Whenever I open a file with the word "Innovation" somewhere in the file name, whatever desktop application I'm using shuts down within a couple seconds- happened in openoffice and dreamweaver so far, with .doc and .asp files.

If I rename the file, by even placing a dash in the word "innovation", (e.g. inn-ovation.asp), then I can do whatever I want.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing, and what I could do to troubleshoot the cause or fix it?

lovely?

could innovation be a command prompt? sorry its just a wild guess, i have never heard of such a thing

apj101

VIP Member
??
its pretty much the most random error ive ever seen. If a file crashes you dont normally go around seeing what verbal content caused the crash, it would be so remote that I wouldnt even investigate it. If he found the error it must have been through a pure stroke of luck

PohTayToez

That's REALLY crazy, and it's so obscure I doubt you'll find a fix other than maybe a windows reinstall or repair.

dangerlarson

It was a random stroke of luck. All of those docs are for the same project - the web page, the sales copy, etc so I looked at them all within about 30 minutes. The only thing I noticed in common since none of the files were related to each other was the name. There were 3 other sets of files containing html, sales copy, etc. for other pages which were created at about the same time, by the same person, from the same tools. Changing the filename was the first thing I thought to try after poking through the html and seeing nothing out of the ordinary. I saved the doc file into various other formats and all of them crapped out - even the xml.

Very weird...

How did I guess the filename? Not sure - guess my lack of IT experience let my mind wander a bit.