? about networking harware

afrench89

I had some questions regarding networking hardware. Now how I understand things, all computers need a modem to connect to the internet. Also, how I understand things, if you use an Ethernet cable to connect to the internet you do not really need a router but it has its advantages. What are some advantages of using a router? Also, how I understand things, a person needs a wireless router if they are going to connect to the internet wirelessly. Please offer any insight. I am new at all this.

bkribbs

I had some questions regarding networking hardware. Now how I understand things, all computers need a modem to connect to the internet. Also, how I understand things, if you use an Ethernet cable to connect to the internet you do not really need a router but it has its advantages. What are some advantages of using a router? Also, how I understand things, a person needs a wireless router if they are going to connect to the internet wirelessly. Please offer any insight. I am new at all this.

I don't believe there are to many reasons to get a router if you have 1 wired computer-actually I can't think of a single one-. If you have multiple computers that need wired, then you need a switch. The switch basically allows for the Ethernet cable to be plugged in, and have several Ethernet cables come out, which allows more than one wired computer to connect. If you have a wireless computer(s), you need a wireless router. The router is what emits the wireless signal.

afrench89

I don't believe there are to many reasons to get a router if you have 1 wired computer-actually I can't think of a single one-. If you have multiple computers that need wired, then you need a switch. The switch basically allows for the Ethernet cable to be plugged in, and have several Ethernet cables come out, which allows more than one wired computer to connect. If you have a wireless computer(s), you need a wireless router. The router is what emits the wireless signal.

So where does a router come in?

bkribbs

So where does a router come in?

You plug in the single Ethernet cable from your modem in the "input" spot. The router will then take that connection, and emit it wirelessly, or through Ethernet ports. (Routers usually also have Ethernet ports) You then connect to the wireless network from your wireless computer. If you do get a router, tell us, and we can help you get it set up, if you need it.

Here is a diagram if it helps:
wireless_router_connection.jpg

If you have more questions, post and we will be more than happy to keep helping!

afrench89

The diagram is definitely helpful. What is the purpose of a wired router? I know of some people that have a wired router in their house. Why is this and what is it used for? Thanks for the help.

bkribbs

The diagram is definitely helpful. What is the purpose of a wired router? I know of some people that have a wired router in their house. Why is this and what is it used for? Thanks for the help.

It is the same as a switch. It is basically the same as the wireless router as mentioned in the diagram, except, instead of broadcasting a signal, it uses cables to connect to each computer.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member

You just can't have modem to switch, it won't work. You still need to have modem to router to switch in order to disperse internet to more than one computer. The router is what assigns internal ip address to each machine. All a switch does is expands your capabilities in case you have more than 4 wired devices that require internet, a router usually only has 4 wired ports to use.

bkribbs

You just can't have modem to switch, it won't work. You still need to have modem to router to switch in order to disperse internet to more than one computer. The router is what assigns internal ip address to each machine. All a switch does is expands your capabilities in case you have more than 4 wired devices that require internet, a router usually only has 4 wired ports to use.

Did not know that. So a wired router is different from a switch? It assigns IPs to all computers? I assumed that a switch did that too.

Geoff

VIP Member
Depends, some modems have a built in DHCP service where a router wouldn't be necessary.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
[-0MEGA-];1468081 said:
Depends, some modems have a built in DHCP service where a router wouldn't be necessary.

I agree for the most part, but i'm just talking about a standard cable/dsl modem thats not a modem/router all in one unit.

Geoff

VIP Member
I agree for the most part, but i'm just talking about a standard cable/dsl modem thats not a modem/router all in one unit.
I understand, my DSL modem only had one ethernet and USB port, but had router functionality built in. My new cable modem however, does not.

afrench89

I was at work today and a lady needed some sort of hub for her office. She needed to plug in her internet and two computers. I offered her a router since she was dealing with multiple computers. Was this right? Or should I have offered her a switch? I am still a little confused as to what wired routers do. Aren't wired routers and switches basically the same thing? Do wired routers and switches both forward data based on ip addresses?

Geoff

VIP Member
I was at work today and a lady needed some sort of hub for her office. She needed to plug in her internet and two computers. I offered her a router since she was dealing with multiple computers. Was this right? Or should I have offered her a switch? I am still a little confused as to what wired routers do. Aren't wired routers and switches basically the same thing? Do wired routers and switches both forward data based on ip addresses?
Most likely a router would be needed here, so you made the right choice.

A wired and wireless router do the same thing, it lets you connect multiple computers or devices to the internet (it technically does more then that, but I'll explain it in layman's terms). The only difference is a wireless router lets you connect wireless devices.

A switch is different from a wired router, and as an example would be used if:

• You wanted to connect more computers for internet access then the router had ports for (4 port router, one port would be used to connect a switch to in order to give you more ports)
  • You had several devices in different locations. Instead of running say, 4 ethernet cables across the hall to the router, you can connect all 4 devices to a switch in the same room, then have just one cable run to the router.

Matthew1990

Some routers are modem, making it easier since you don't need a modem, in that case router is handy, less hardware meaning less hassle.