About ready to smash my wifi card with a hammer

Darren

Staff member
Hi all again.

Been having more BSOD relating to my wifi adapter. Specifically nwifi.sys

I have reinstalled this device half a dozen times and reset everything I can think of to fix it. Last time it happened it would crash about 4 times in a day. Then I reinstalled my wifi adapter. I thought I fixed it but now it's back and doing it again.

Time for a new wireless card?

One other question. How is Belkin as a company? My adapter and my router are from them. G speed I think. Anyway my whole network seems to be utterly terrible in general, but especially my computer. Belkin to blame?

kobaj

VIP Member
One other question. How is Belkin as a company? My adapter and my router are from them. G speed I think. Anyway my whole network seems to be utterly terrible in general, but especially my computer. Belkin to blame?

I personally don't feel they're that good of a company anymore. The used to make some quality equipment, but most recently they're quality has gone down the tubes and I would not buy from them.

If you are able, take out your wireless card and uninstall the drivers. If crashing stops, then yes, that's certainly your problem.

We can recommend some good quality cards if you give us a few details first. Such as, do you have a budget? Do you need N or is G acceptable? PCI/PCI-E?

Darren

Staff member
Well the crashing is very sporadic so just taking out the card and uninstalling it won't necessarily let me know if that's the problem.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I don't recommend buying belkin products after a router burned up only after a few months. I would definately get a different wireless card.

Darren

Staff member
Yeah if I don't get one for Christmas I'm going to buy one. Any recommendations on brands?

USB or PCI?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I'd go Linksys or D-Link. And it's up to you whether to get USB or PCI. USB's are more portable and can be moved compared to PCI cards.