About to buy a home computer, but I know nothing about what I need, other than HELP!

Sledneck1978

Hi all,

So it's time for me to buy a desktop computer. I'm a single dad, 36, with an 8 year old daughter and a 6 year old son.
Our needs are relatively basic...web browsing, email, YouTube, uploading photos, and I use a cloud based CRM program for my job.
The last time I was in the market for a computer, the biggest hard drive available was a 12GB. Now it's 100x's that. It's really confusing.
I want something that will be instantaneous when going from web page to page. Also, would like an all-in-one. We have 2 iPads and I have an iPhone...does it make sense to get a Mac?
Basically, in looking for some specs I need to get the job done, or better yet, some decent models/model numbers. Price doesn't matter that much...I'm willing to go up to 2K but I've seen some nice looking stuff at the box stores for 4-7 hundred...but do they perform? I use a Mac at work, but the only thing I could tell you about it is that it has a 27" screen, and I'm really starting to like it. It's also at my budget max price wise. Anything that will perform as well based on the simple things I'll use it for, at a lower cost?

Thanks in advance!

Adam

C4C

Normally everybody here is going to tell you to build your own, but your circumstances are different.

I personally have a 27" iMac (late 2009) in my family and we're very pleased with it, though updating the OS X has slowed it down, it's still very powerful.

Syncing with iTunes is a breeze and everything becomes integrated with individual accounts as your messages will show up on the screen and you can face time flawlessly. Skype is great as the camera and mic are integrated compared to a desktop tower build.

Best bet is getting one with an SSD if available. They are speedy with performance up to 4x that of mechanical drives. :)

My uncle has an HP all-in-one and he enjoys it. It uses an Intel i3 processor and does fine for family internet browsing and of course, skyping us from the UK where he resides.

beers

Staff member
If you're accustomed to Mac then get a Mac.

Otherwise, the requirements you listed are basic enough that a $400 Best Buy PC could facilitate ;)

Reactions: C4C