About to deploy and need to fix wife's laptop!!!

jonnyb

I just bought my wife an Asus K53E laptop with Windows 7 so she can have portable internet while I'm gone. The internet is intermittent at best, very slow when it actually works. I updated all drivers on the laptop and router, even tried changing the channel on the router but I havent found anything that worked. I dont think its the router since my other laptop and desktop are working fine. I tried the Intel diagnostics tool, all tests past but the ping test, said no response from the default gateway and the DHCP server. Can anyone help?

jonnyb

I have antivirus, installed Avast. I tried the internet with and without it on, but didnt see any difference.

Pipes

Some more information needed.
Signal strenth?
Wired works OK?
Security protocol? (WEP or WPA?)
Anti virus program(s)?
:confused:

jonnyb

Signal strength is great, speed is 65 Mbps, plugged it in directly to router and still had the same problem. Antivirus software is AVAST freeware (tried disabling it for 10 minutes, problem remained) and WPA. And the laptop is literally brand new. All I did was update drivers, update Windows service pack, and install Skype and Itunes. The problem was there before I updated/ installed anything.

Also, please excuse my lack of sounding like I know about computers because I dont really. I usually just use google to look for symptoms and try to find solutions, but was striking out on this one.

Last edited:

Pipes

Signal strength is great, speed is 65 Mbps, plugged it in directly to router and still had the same problem. Antivirus software is AVAST freeware (tried disabling it for 10 minutes, problem remained) and WPA. And the laptop is literally brand new. All I did was update drivers, update Windows service pack, and install Skype and Itunes. The problem was there before I updated/ installed anything.

Also, please excuse my lack of sounding like I know about computers because I dont really. I usually just use google to look for symptoms and try to find solutions, but was striking out on this one.

If PC is new it may have Windows Anti virus "windows security essentals" which is the free microsoft anti virus. (which is what I use) If so get rid of AVAST. Or disable essentials. Always best to uninstall rather then disable as drivers etc. are still in play.

Skype has also caused network problems with me in the past. I had a hard time finding out it was Skype causing trouble but found out via some history files. Try uninstall it to see.

Also, since PC is new it probably has a bunch of "trial" software which cause nag screens to purchase. Generally I go through the uninstall proceedure for all this crap. Just keep the OEM manufacturer software which contain needed drivers.
Couple more questions.
Is there any other PCs on this router? If so are they good both wired and WiFi?
Is WiFi a G or N?
65 Mbs would indicate N with a 150 MBs WiFi card. So there may be some interference bringing down the speed somewhat. But not bottomed out.
Since wired connection has same problem and if other PCs have same trouble then I would blame the router. If other PCs behave good then for sure something is not right with the new PC.

jonnyb

Yeah I was wrong. Apologize for my ignorance. But that speed test site is pretty cool. Got an upload speed of 4.39Mbps and download speed of 17.8 Mbps.

Last edited:

Dngrsone

VIP Member
Does the router have a built-in firewall? If that firewall is turned on and Windows Firewall is turned on, then you will have no end of problems.

You want only one firewall between your computer and the internet, so decide which one you want to turn off.

If you decided to turn off Windows Firewall, be sure to teach you wife how to turn it off (including the stuff under the Advanced tab/button), because Windows Automatic Update likes to turn it back on when doing system updates.

mtb211

Thats are some decent speeds jonny... If dngrsone help did not work.. let me know what type of router you have ?

Btw do you have any other computers using the same connection?

einstein31

I had a similar problem in my apartment when we first moved in. It really slowed down when multiple computers were connected to the internet. It turned out that the service provider didn't have really good signal inside my apartment building for some reason. So I had to switch internet providers and now it works great even when both of our laptops are connecting at the same time.