Access BIOS from windows

jaydh

Hi there

Hope you can help.

I want to set my computer to boot from the cd drive as I cant get into the BIOS as the keyboard does not work until later in the startup sequence. I am installing windows7 on the computer (32bit to 64bit) so the only way to install it is from a clean install, hence booting from the cd drive.

How can I acces BIOS in windows to tell it to start from disc when I restart the computer?

Thanks

Jamie

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Either you don't have legacy usb enabled in the bios(using a usb keyboard?) or the F keys are disabled. I had a keyboard a while back that you had to press a button on the keyboard to enable the F keys.

If you have a usb keyboard try using a ps/2 keyboard then go into the bios and enable legacy usb for keyboard and mouse.

Or its possible that you just have a bad keyboard.

jaydh

Its a wireless USB keyboard. The F keys are enabled. They keyboard works fine but only works in windows it seems!

Maybe find a spare one from someone...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then most likely you don't have legacy usb enabled in the bios. Use a ps/2 port type keyboard to boot into bios and change the setting.

ScottALot

The keyboard may have come with Windows drivers to enable it to work. So it may be the case that he must boot into Windows first.

jaydh

The keyboard may have come with Windows drivers to enable it to work. So it may be the case that he must boot into Windows first.

Do you mean the keyboard only allows me to boot to windows or that I didnt install something to allow it to work in startup?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you mean the keyboard only allows me to boot to windows or that I didnt install something to allow it to work in startup?

There is no software that comes with the keyboard that will allow you to boot into the bios. No drivers or software is loaded until after post.

Please use a different keyboard, ps/2 type to boot into the bios and change the setting for usb legacy to enabled.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just look in the bios. It should say something like legacy usb and enable it, then you should be able to use your usb keyboard. I have a wireless usb keyboard but most custom built computers(which mine is) already come with it enabled on the motherboard.

bomberboysk

Just look in the bios. It should say something like legacy usb and enable it, then you should be able to use your usb keyboard. I have a wireless usb keyboard but most custom built computers(which mine is) already come with it enabled on the motherboard.
Another word for this is "USB Keyboard/Mouse"