Access Hard Drive On Net Program

dannaswolcott

I was wondering, Is there any program i can install that will alow me to access my hard drive files via web baced internet? So if i am at school or a friends house I can access my hard drive from that computer? Let me know if there are nay programs like that... Thanks

brian

VIP Member
www.logmein.com can do that if you buy the pro version. However you can just log on to your computer and send it to yourself using the free version. I think that is the simplest way. There are others, but it would be more complex

DizzlyDood

I was wondering, Is there any program i can install that will alow me to access my hard drive files via web baced internet? So if i am at school or a friends house I can access my hard drive from that computer? Let me know if there are nay programs like that... Thanks

So you have a computer support web page, but don't use any type of remote support?

AUTOBOOT2000

If you have windows professional you can use remote desktop connection I used to carry around my ip in my pocket lol. But now I have it memorized :)
If you have windows professional it's already on your computer you just have to enable it. Then you can actually control your PC.

brian

VIP Member
If you have windows professional you can use remote desktop connection I used to carry around my ip in my pocket lol. But now I have it memorized :)
If you have windows professional it's already on your computer you just have to enable it. Then you can actually control your PC.

Yes, but rdp is really unsecure and most people dont have static ip's. But that would work.

dannaswolcott

I have remote control software all ready. I want a program that acts like windows home server. That will alow me to log in and browse and or download files off my hard drive from an other computer thats not on my home network.

shempf

probably don't won't that. You need to know what your doing. You have to create (unless you like paying) a certificate to authenticate yourself to the server/home pc.

AUTOBOOT2000

Yes, but rdp is really unsecure and most people dont have static ip's. But that would work.

dynamic shynamic! Dynamic IP's don't even change that often. Unsecure? What isn't unsecure :) Answer: Locking your computer in a room surrounded by 2 feet of lead unplugged in an underground bunker, hey that's what they do at the pentagon :)

shempf

I have remote control software all ready. I want a program that acts like windows home server. That will alow me to log in and browse and or download files off my hard drive from an other computer thats not on my home network.

Well logmein (non-free version) can do this. So can VPN, etc.

If if ever connect remotely through wifi @ the remote node then I'd use one of those "secure wifi" programs advertised for public wifi security. This way you get a tunnel within a tunnel. Should be pretty safe then.

I think the summary is buy logmein pro, or start learning about VPN, etc

Last edited: