Accessing IP Camera from the Internet

WeatherMan

Hi guys,

Bought an IP Camera so that I can upload a live stream of current conditions to my weather website (www.benfleetweather.uk).

Tried uploading stills via FTP to my site, which works, but only if motion is detected, which is usless as there's not often motion in view.

Ideall I'd like to upload the stream to a page on my website, and then embed that stream into a specific page on my site.

The camera supports upnp and ddns, but I only have a cheap free router that came from my ISP, which is a bugger to configure. I've spoken to Geoff and he's suggested I get a better router in order to make configuration easier.

Could somebody suggest a router in the $100 range that will suite my purpose?

I have around 15 devices on the network which uses DHCP for IP allocation, and a Dynamic IP from my ISP.

I'm not looking for anything too fancy WiFi wize as my house limits signals (solid brick non cavity walls) Been through the Wireless AC/Hotspot route before and didn't have much sucess, which is why I use Powerline/Homeplug as a method for internet access around the house.

So, again which is the best router for my purpose around $100, and what is the best method to access a live stream from my IP Camera?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Look at the ASUS routers in that price range and take your pick. They're all good.

WeatherMan

I forgot to mention, I'm on FTTC Fiber in the UK, so I'd need a WAN router right? To connect to my BT openreach modem.

This is what I was looking at..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC5...id=1433085242&sr=8-3&keywords=asus+wan+router

I just don't want to pay loads of cash for a crappy router with awesome internet, if you get what I'm saying, only reason I need wireless is for printing, which Wireless B would handle perfectly fine.. lol

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Yeah that router should do the trick.

You'll want to log into your current wireless modem and disable the wireless radios. If you have a WAN port on the modem, connect a cable to the WAN port on the new router. If not, run a cable from LAN port to LAN port and disable DHCP server on the new modem. Then assign the new router an IP on the same network as the modem.

Geoff

VIP Member
If you have a modem with an ethernet cable, any router with a WAN port would work, which is pretty much all consumer routers as without a WAN port they'd be rather useless.

As I told you earlier over facebook, get an Asus router and setup port forwarding.