Accessing Two Networks With A Router

dfx866

Ok here's the deal, I've got a local wireless ISP and the IP is static. The IP is a non-routable, 192.168.x.x the subnet then being 255.255.0.0. Now my friend has the same service and we were essentially on the same network, so we could file share and play LAN games from our own homes. Now the problem comes from the fact that I have a router and recently set up another computer and put both of our home computers behind it, and in doing so me and my friend can't do these things because I am now technically on a network within a network (if you can call it, that but you know what I mean!). The settings on the router are 192.168.2.1 for an IP with the subnet being 255.255.255.0. Now what I need to know form someone with more knowledge than I is if I can get back on that original "network" so that me and my friend can go back to file sharing yet still have my router split the internet connection. I've been told its impossible and that is possible but very hard to do. I thought I'd try and set the subnet for 255.255.0.0 on the router but its being stubborn and not changing. Please tell me if you know, I will appreciate it alot.

Chipmonk

dudder, you cannot spit the signal and still have your friend able to access your computers, the router has a built in firewall, and the only way to make that possible is to remove that firewall, eg, the router. you could somehow give his ip access to your network, although that prolly isnt the greatest idea, and youd better be sure that you have a 100% static IP, also that is a really common Network ip, so it sounds like you ISP has no clue what they are doing, being as most school networks, and company networks, use the very same 192.168.x.x template. if you want to share files use and FTP server, and as far as gaming goes, actually be on a LAN, or use the internet, and gametiger.com like the rest of us

anthonyrstanley

that link i gave you is a no-ip link is by passes the static ip thing a fixesthat problem i think that is what i am told i was going to try that butttt i am deployed right now.