Acer aspire 6360S

bigAL1985

I have an Acer Aspire 6360S. It has a celeron 500mhz and the motherboard chipset is an SiS 620. I want to put a new hard drive in this computer an install a new version of windows xp. The disk that originally came with the computer is scratched up beyond use. I went to driverguide.com and found the drivers that I think I need. However, I'm not really sure what drivers I do need, and when I get them I don't know what to do with them. Also, is it possible to upgrade this system to a pentium III? It is a socket 370 motherboard. The number on the motherboard is v76m. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Install XP first, then see what drivers you need, assuming tou have another comp you can use. XP is usally quite good about installing drivers and such. At least enough to get you started. Perhaps you should get one for your modem/networking card just to be sure you can get online, if you don't have another comp...

I would suspect you could upgrade to a PIII, but probably not too high. Look for jumpers, or maybe info in the bios to see how high it could be clocked. If I had to guess, I'd say around 700 would be your max

Lax

VIP Member
Well, it depends on how old the motherboard. If it's got a celery in it now then it might not be able to go much higher, or it was just what they put in there. Look online at acer's site and find your mobo and just check the specs on it. If it CAN go to 1Ghz (or maybe the tualatin) then there might be a BIOS update to support it.

bigAL1985

I looked at the board and there is a jumper to change the CPU to 100mhz. It was originally in the 66mhz position. There is no option for 133, this seems to knock out most pentium III procs. If I leave in the celeron, can I move the jumper to 100mhz to overclock it? I do have another computer that I can use to aid in the process of installing the new OS.