Acer Laptop Files Missing

dgforeman

Acer Aspire Laptop E1 -571. Purchased with windows 7 free upgrade to 8.1. Getting message that somes files missing. Tried recovery with saving my files but demanding I insert DVD disks. I had made some (5) after I got laptop.Screen comes up "The media inserted is not valid" .My computer works fine except can't get on internet. Checked by Comcast tech in my home and everything from router/wifi etc is good. Does anyone know if this laptop has built in partition with O/S built in?
I can't remember if I made those recovery disks before I upgraded to windows 8.1. Would that matter?
I can open the recovery disks to see the files but have no idea what to look for there.
I have tried system restore. Still no nternet. All hardware checks out. Suggestions helpful before I take to store where I purchased and pay a exorbitant price.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check you device manager to make sure wireless adapter driver is installed correctly. What files are missing? What exact error messages are you getting?

dgforeman

Johnb35

Work adapters check out(comcast tech checked them) If my recovery disks made when o/s was win 7 and i did the free upgrade to 8.1 would that be why my recovery disks won't run?
I am not sure how to find out what files are missing. When i go to recovery but keep files it asks for me to put in disks and then doesn't recognise them. How do I find out whet files are missing?
Is it a big issue to save my files on a portable hd then reinstall them if the computer is wiped clean? Never did this before.
Is it true that when i upgraded to win 8.1 my covery files in Acer were wipped out, if in fact I had them in some partition. I am thinking they were not there in the first place.
I can buy recovery disks from Acer for my machine for $20 but I think this would wipe out everything.
Appreciate your advice.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Using recovery disks would wipe everything. You can transfer your important data to another drive or cd/DVD and the reinstall windows and then transfer back the data.

dgforeman

Backup hardrive

JOHN/I purchase a Toshiba Canvio 500 gb hardrive today and am presently loading my whole system on it. Maybe I should not have put the O/ S on it as we know files are missing. I plan to send for the recovery files from Acer. If those disks are in fact win 7 how do I get my windows 8.1 back without paying MS. again. LOL
Any idea why my burned disks would not work?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How did you upgrade to windows 8 the first time? You had to use some sort of installation media...

Did you try doing the sfc /scannow command to check for missing or altered system files?

dgforeman

reply to john

I upgraded to 8.1 by going on to MS site and followed directions given there.I will try your suggestion to scan for missing files. Do I put that in search?
Tried the command prompt and got" must be a administrator running a console session in order to use this file utility"Okay finally found it and doing scan now

Last edited:

dgforeman

Johnb35

My scan finished since i am using a tablet will write it out for you.

Microsoft Windows Version 6.3.9600
Verification 100% complete

"Windows Resource Protection foundcorrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.
C:\Windows system32>++
'++' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
C:\WINDOWS\system32>+