Acer Veriton i7 advice on making the computer good please...

tothemax6

Hi All,
I was hoping that someone here would recognize what is wrong with this machine I have bought. I bought it because it has an i7, so therefore it should be fast. However, it is not, it is a piece of crap.
So my theory is that, since the i7 processor is confirmed to be awesome, it must be some kind of clash with another piece of hardware. Specifically, I think it could be the video card (which is not as hi-tech as the i7), because the biggest problem with the computer is freezing in the middle of games. Does this sound like it could be a video card clash?
Also, why would it be that opening and closing of windows (its running Windows XP) would not be fast? It is no faster to say, open, 'My Documents' than my old Amd Athlon computer was (which had 1/10th the benchmark figure). The computer is still 'thinking' about doing things, instead of just opening the damn window. Does anyone know why this is? Or alternatively, how many millions of dollars one would have to have and spend, to actually have a working computer?
Cheers everyone,
tothemax6

----------------------------
Computer details:
Acer Veriton M490G- Intel Core i7 860, 2 x 2GB, 2 x1TB HDD, DVDRW, 1GB GT220, Win 7 Pro (64bit) XP Pro Img, 3 yr NBD wty
Genuine Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) XP Pro Image, Intel Core i7 processor 870 (2.80GHz, 8MB L2 cache, 1333MHz FSB), 4GB DDR3 Dual Channel (2 x 2GB), 1TB SATA Hard Drive 7200 RPM, 1TB SATA Hard Drive 7200 RPM, 16x Dual Layer DVD Burner, 1GB GT220 DDR2 DVI HDMI, No additional software, 3 years Commercial Desktop NBD Onsite Response

Cameldude

So, can you have a look at your task manager and tell me what is the CPU and ram doing, just in case you don;t know its the two % figures on the bottom of the windows which pops up when you open task bar.
Could also be something to do with GPU since GT220, i dunno a bit old, perhaps GT260 or something, the one i have (below) works perfectly, games run on highest possible settings, with 0 lag, and very good FPS,
don't get that you say XP and then in the signature you say Windows 7?? which one you actually use, since if its just Windows 7 and then you use the feature in windows 7 to run XP, that is probably why you have all the problems!!!, just use Windows 7.
!!

Drenlin

the GT220 isn't a terrible card, but it certainly isn't up to par with the i7. If you're trying to play games on high settings with that, you will have problems. You'd want a card that's at the very least 4-5 times as powerful to match the i7 in games.

tothemax6

Cheers,
Yeah I am running windows XP because I don't like Windows 7. I had win7 for about 3 days before it popped up one more annoying message than I could stand (and this is after 3 days of trying to disable everything annoying), and it got abruptly wiped. Win XP just gets on with it, and doesn't keep asking me questions. Also, in Windows 7 games were still hanging (although they weren't freezing), which was almost as aggravating. Perhaps I will have to return to Windows 7 if thats the only way to have the computer run fast. Is there third party software that breaks/gets rid of all the annoying messages and security things that Windows 7 has but Windows XP doesn't?
Also, would this be a good graphics card, and how do I tell if it will work when I put it in?
http://www.megabuy.com.au/sapphire-hd5770-1g-gddr5-1g-128bit-gddr5-pcie-2dvi-hdmi-p146336.html

thanks all!

Cameldude

When in windows 7, the annoying pop up messages are for your safety, but if you want to get rid of them type in search UAC, and tell it to never bother you!!!. that will get rid of pop ups. then on the card note i guess you have the Pci slot x16, so it should work fine, it will be big though, but it should work..!!! the card is very good.
Best of luck with that!!

Drenlin

The GPU you posted is overpriced by $30-$40, but it would work. It's still fairly underpowered (in games) compared to the i7, but it'll let you play most everything on high settings, and max on everything but the newest games.

However, since you've bought a prebuilt system, and an Acer at that, you've likely inherited a crappy power supply. We'll need to know the specs on that before giving you advice on an upgrade. I can't find it on the net anywhere, so can you open up the side and see? The brand, wattage rating, and amperage on the +12volt rail(s) should be enough to make a decent judgement.