Adapter issues

CmoAMD

Ok.. im having wireless problems in picking out what I want/need.

What are your feelings in adapter connectivity?
PCI, USB, or Ethernet? I would imagine PCI and Ethernet would be the better of the 2, PCI in favor.

Also, does it matter having cross brands? Netgear router, Buffalo adapter? I cant decide on what I need, ive never done anything wireless, im a desktop guy. I dont even know what half the things mean IEEE802 or whatever.

Help?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
PCI is much better than USB. As for ethernet, I assume you mean an ethernet to wireless bridge? That's more of a last resort deal, and probably not the best setup if avoidable.

As for crossing brands...that's a yes and no. Your typical 54 G standard is fine. However, there is no true "N" standard yet. If you get something that uses wireless N, you need two devices made for it.

Cooner750

By all means use a PCI wireless adapter if you have the room. USB adapters should only be used when necessary, such as for a laptop that does not have a PCMCIA slot. I've found that the USB adapters just do not work up to par like the PCI ones do.

(Assuming you're talking about a Desktop computer. And not a laptop, in the case of a laptop, your only options are a PCMCIA card, if the laptop has a slot, or a USB adapter.)

Personally myself, I avoid wireless when possible. All of my stuff is still wired :D

slaphappylinksys

By all means use a PCI wireless adapter if you have the room. USB adapters should only be used when necessary, such as for a laptop that does not have a PCMCIA slot. I've found that the USB adapters just do not work up to par like the PCI ones do.

(Assuming you're talking about a Desktop computer. And not a laptop, in the case of a laptop, your only options are a PCMCIA card, if the laptop has a slot, or a USB adapter.)

Personally myself, I avoid wireless when possible. All of my stuff is still wired :D

yes but there is times when wireless is awsome like trying to work on a buddies comp and trying to find info on the web when your in another room or house but i tend to stay away from doing personal stuff online banking and stuff to that nature on wireless it just makes me feelbetter but really its all your preference you wont notice any speed loss i have a cable modem that is 4723 kb/s and thats slower than any wireless out there except b.