Adding another HDD to my comp.

R_ACE1

Hello everyone! I built a computer for my friend who was unable to operate his current one. He claimes that his origional harddrive was jacked up! He gave me a new chassis, harddrive, and the unop. computer and asked my to transfer everything to the new chassis (except for the bad HDD).

Heres the situation; he gave me the bad HDD and I would like to use it (apperantly it's infested with viruses and spyware). Is it still possible to install that HDD to my computer as a slave and still use it (ofcorse reformatting it and eliminating all the crap inside) and not f-up my own computer in the process???????????
Thank you

homeboy

banned
ya u can set it as the master then format it but doant let it go 2 your opperating sytem when u boot his hard drive then formate it then change it bak 2 slave

Lax

VIP Member
Yeah what he said, but use the XP boot disk to get into the "setup" and just format the drive in the menu.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
). Is it still possible to install that HDD to my computer as a slave and still use it (ofcorse reformatting it and eliminating all the crap inside) and not f-up my own computer in the process???????????
Most likely yes

ya u can set it as the master then format it but doant let it go 2 your opperating sytem when u boot his hard drive then formate it then change it bak 2 slave
Wouldnt it be more simpler to just format it as slave... especially when he want it to be slave in the end :) By simply formatting it you save the effort of swaaping the stuff around and can use the drive right away :)

R_ACE1

Sweet! thanks everyone for your inputs. I'm going to start the journey this weekend.
Again thanks

R_ACE1

Praetor said:
Most likely yes

Wouldnt it be more simpler to just format it as slave... especially when he want it to be slave in the end :) By simply formatting it you save the effort of swaaping the stuff around and can use the drive right away :)

But is it possible for anything (virus, spyware, malicious etc.) for migrate into the master HDD and infest it??
I do have an anti-virus program installed and other protection programs but is it still viable??
Ray

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
But is it possible for anything (virus, spyware, malicious etc.) for migrate into the master HDD and infest it??
Possible but the odds of you coming across something like that are more remote than the slice of pizza i just ate taking over the world. ;)

R_ACE1

Praetor said:
Possible but the odds of you coming across something like that are more remote than the slice of pizza i just ate taking over the world. ;)

Careful, ever watched "ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES"? They use it for pizza sauce. :eek:

4W4K3

VIP Member
i just had BOTH my gf's HDD's corrupt:( They were running Master/Slave...and when i messed with the UDMA settings...POOF! no windows! i guess reformat:( BIOS wont fix the problem as i did this in windows:(

But yes i think it is easier to jsut select it as slave in BIOS and on cable, then in windows format it as drive (insert letter here:) and just use it for storage. Instead of making master, then slave...all that.

Also i heard that running Windows on your SMALLER drive should give you faster access time (versus windows on larger size drive). Gotta consider RPM, Buffer though...whichever is faster with both those will probably make a bigger difference. if there the exact same drive but diff sizes...go for smaller drive.