Adding another SSD to my built

ssal

I built a PC primarily for editing 4K video. I have a nvme ssd 1tb which I partition 360gb for system and the balance for my active video project. Then I have 2 2TB HDDs for storage. One for video (history/cumulative) and the other for other data's like music and documents.

I am finding the dedicated active video project drive is running out of room. If I have to copy some older project into the active project drive to reedit, I have to do a lot of moving around.

I looked at my MB and found that I still have an I/O port for another drive. I can add another nvme ssd or a SATA ssd (they are mutually exclusive, one or the other). Since SATA ssd is a lot cheaper than nvme ssd, and for video, anything other than HDD is fast enough for 4K, I opted for a used Samsung. This seems to be an older (2014) version but the price is right ($70). Any comment about my choice?

Samsung 840 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA SSD Hard Drive MZ-7TE1T0​

Intel_man

VIP Member
Why bother with a used 1tb ssd? A new 1tb mx500 is like $90 on an average day and probably $80 on a good sale.

Also, The 840 EVO's had some performance issues that Samsung's tried to fix twice through firmware patches.