Adding LED's to my computer

Comp_Newb

Hey i have had LED's forever and want to know how to add them to my computer? There is already a couple but i would like more.
Thanks
Jeff

lovely?

well you would need a driver, particularly one that converts the power supplies 12v rail to something around 3v. radioshack sells all the parts you would need to make a driver.

if nothing else, you could put a simple resistor in succession to the LED's, one that would limit the current to the LED to about 20mA.

awildgoose

If you want you computer to have colours, don't use LED's. Use Xmas lights, they are way way cheaper and have more colours :)

mac550

well you would need a driver, particularly one that converts the power supplies 12v rail to something around 3v. radioshack sells all the parts you would need to make a driver.

if nothing else, you could put a simple resistor in succession to the LED's, one that would limit the current to the LED to about 20mA.

you dont need any resistors to run LED's from a PSU, just wire the LED's in parallel to the 5 volt rail (red wires). if you really want to use resistors and you run them from a 12 volt rail then you need a 1k resistor for each LED (wire them and parallel otherwise they will explode, fun but they stink your room out)

ohms law. start reading.

there is no point useless your gonna do a lot of electrical or electronic work, you will just bore yourself.

Last edited:

DirtyD86

banned
there is no point useless your gonna do a lot of electrical or electronic work, you will just bore yourself.

if you want to do something with no real clue of what you are doing, i suppose you could skip the ohms law bit. for those of us that like to be well educated i would suggest reading into it. if you are going to do something, you might as well put 100% into it

Last edited:

mac550

if you want to do something with no real clue of what you are doing, i suppose you could skip the ohms law bit. for those of us that like to be well educated i would suggest reading into it. if you are going to do something, you might as well put 100% into it

i have an NVQ 2 in electrical, i think i know what im talking about, it does help to know ohms law but you dont need to know it fully to connect a led to a psu. they are not asking about 3 phase load balancing, so there aint no point.

Last edited:

FairDoos

lol.... that's... cute. i read a 300 word article on aeronautical engineering once... brb gonna go build a 747.

i have an NVQ 2 in electrical, i think i know what im talking about, it does help to know ohms law but you dont need to know it fully to connect a led to a psu. they are not asking about 3 phase load balancing, so there aint no point.

Who cares who is better than who at what the guy asked a question that needs to be answeared stop bitching lol

laznz1

LED are the way to go they last for ages low powered you can either run them in series hooked on to the 5V rail

lovely?

if you run too much power through these things they are gonna turn out just like the LED's on fans, the budget ones, who's LED's dim then go out after less then a year.

just a noob

theres a formula out there somewhere for figuring out what size resistor you need to power an led, if you don't think you need an led, just plug the positive into the yellow plug on the far left of a molex, and the middle black one more to the left, it will just burn out the led