Adding memory to desktop

Wanting to update my desktop memory but have a question. I currently have this in slot 1 & 3 - 4gb each, timing 9-9-9-24, CAS Latency 9. I want to change that to slot 2 & 4 and add to slot 1 & 3 8gb each, Timing 10-10-10-27, CAS Latency 10. All other parameters of memory are the same and are of the same manufacturer and type (Corsair Vengeance).

Question: Should this work to bring the total to 24gb or should I just replace the 2 x 4 with the 2 x 8, toss the 2 x 4 on the old parts pile, and not try to mix the slots with different timing / CAS Latency.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You shouldn't mix sticks with different timings. Ways should be matched sets. What do you do that makes you think you need more ram? Are you using more than 80 percent of existing ram?

You shouldn't mix sticks with different timings. Ways should be matched sets. What do you do that makes you think you need more ram? Are you using more than 80 percent of existing ram?
Specifically, not using more than 80%. Installed a newer version of photo/video editing software a few days ago and it has somewhat higher minimums than the older version I had been using (6 years older version), and after a couple of test editing operations found they were slower on the new software, so decided to do an upgrade.

Ordered the new ram with the only intention of replacing the 2 x 4gb current sticks with 2 x 8gb sticks. Got to thinking this morning, wonder if I could populate the other 2 slots with the older/current memory. Have never messed with memory situations with any of my other builds so thought I would ask as I was not knowledgeable on the issues of timing. Besides that, I can afford to do the "upgrade" so why not even if the "upgrade" ends up being of minimal value in the whole scheme of things.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Mixing different timings may cause system instability, including blue screens. Best bet would be to remove old and buy a 16 gb kit.

DavidG

As you have already ordered the RAM there is nothing stopping you trying both sets of RAM, (unless you intended to sell the old RAM). Most likely the system will default to the slowest RAM. If there is no benefit in going beyond 24GB or if the setup is unstable simply remove the old set.

Last edited: