Adding my laptop to network?

niak_558

i am trying to add my laptop to a network so i can use the net on my laptop.

this is the set up:
there is an adsl router and a five port ethernet switch, two desktops connect to the ethernet switch one is running windows 98 and one is running XP home.

i now have my laptop connected to the ethernet switch and when i go into "view network connections" in my network places the LAN connection says that it is connected.

what do i have to do to be able to use the internet on my laptop?

cheers, kain.

Trizoy

VIP Member
Right click my network places, properties. In the window there is an icon for local area connection. Right click that and select properties. Make sure no Ip is listed, and everything is obtained.. not specified.

niak_558

i can't see those optoins.

the thing i have open has general, authentication, and advanced tabs across the top and then a "connect using": box which says the type of network card it uses and then another box saying "This connection uses the following items" and it has a whole lot of options and all of them have a tick in the box.

am i in the right thing?

cheers kain.

Trizoy

VIP Member
IM sorry did not explain enough... Under the box which says this connection uses... There is a tcp/ip setting in there. Go to the properties of that, and make sure there is no gateway or IP specified.

niak_558

i must have the wrong thing up because under that box mine has install uninstall and properties tabs and if you click that properties tab it comes up with some RCP service thing

sorry

cheers, kain.