Administrator Privileges

Rollofthedice

My computer's been restricting my access to certain things since I got the Roadrunner internet connection.

It started when I tried to update my ZoneAlarm firewall. I ran the updater and when it hit 62% it says that I don't have administrator privileges and stopped there. It did this about 4 times before I gave up. This ended up messing up my internet connection and I had to call Time Warner to help get that resolved.

Now it won't let me change stuff in the Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs Folder. I'm trying to delete a Sonic Update thing that starts when I boot-up my computer. The folder shows all of the stuff, but the change/remove button is gone. This is weird because I used it yesterday just fine to remove the ZoneAlarm fragment that was stopping my internet connection.

I haven't made any changes since then is this from not having a firewall? I'm not going to try installing ZoneAlarm again because if it messes up again it doesn't look like I'll be able to delete it.

I did delete two viruses from my computer using the AOL Kaspersky program.

1) C:hp\region\EN_US-ie.reg
2) C:\System Volume Information\_restore{E0C22EC0-D318-4D95-967D-A5C2B4653ED0}\RP114\A0020605.reg

I don't know if that would affect anything, but I really haven't changed anything else.

Last edited:

Rollofthedice

I just noticed the Add/Remove programs screen gives me the Change/Remove button on the 3 programs I just installed, but not on any of the other ones which is kind of confusing.

Balask

save you tried going into safe mode and using the account actually called Administrator? Having a virus can cause pretty much any problem, and not having a firewall allows more trojens to download virri. I would suggest downloading a free light anti-virus and doing a scan to remove them. Also did your Roadrunner ISP have you install any software? If you've got a router you don't need it, infact in most cases you wouldn't need ISP software unless its DSL or Dial-up directly connected to your computer.

The easiest way to fix this problem is to do a system restore I would think. [Start] [Programs] [Accessories] [System Tools] [System Restore] You should select the last date that you know everythign worked.