Advice about hosting website

I am not very savy about websites and building them. It has been on my mind for some time now to build my own web site and host it myself at home. Could you recommend some good books and/or websites to help a total newbie get started build and hosting a site?

With thanks

Matt :D

b3n

VIP Member
You dont have to host it at home...there are several free and easy webhosts on the net. If you have no experience with building websites, learn HTML.

Zerox your site was very helpful. I have been using dream weaver and following it's tutorials to design my web pages. After reading the site you directed me to I am even more confused about hosting a web site from my own computer. I purchased a domain name and intended to use a second 6GB hard drive I have as my server. Is this a reasonable idea? Do I need licensing in order to host my own web site from my home? Would you mind advising me a little more the information out there is often hard to sift through when you have no context for culling the truth from the chaff. Thanks. Matt

Christopher

VIP Member
Hosting a site at home usually isn't a good idea. A home internet connection is hardly suited for serving up web pages. If you end up getting even 50 concurrent users online at a time, then your site will probably buckle.

Some ISP's won't let you host a site, but sometimes as long as you stay within your bandwidth limits they don't mind. If you don't have a static IP address (usually you have to pay your ISP for them), then you'll have trouble routing your domain name to your computer (there are sites like DynDNS that will update it automatically while you run a small program in the background.)

Running a server takes a bit of know-how too, search Google for setting up an IIS server, or Apache.

Your best bet will be to purcahse hosting from the pro's. Hosting is a big business these days and you can get it for literally a couple dollars a month.

ZER0X

VIP Member
Chroder said:
Hosting a site at home usually isn't a good idea. A home internet connection is hardly suited for serving up web pages. If you end up getting even 50 concurrent users online at a time, then your site will probably buckle.
Some ISP's won't let you host a site, but sometimes as long as you stay within your bandwidth limits they don't mind. If you don't have a static IP address (usually you have to pay your ISP for them), then you'll have trouble routing your domain name to your computer (there are sites like DynDNS that will update it automatically while you run a small program in the background.)
Running a server takes a bit of know-how too, search Google for setting up an IIS server, or Apache.
Your best bet will be to purcahse hosting from the pro's. Hosting is a big business these days and you can get it for literally a couple dollars a month.

Yer what chroder said :D

Zerox your site was very helpful. I have been using dream weaver and following it's tutorials to design my web pages. After reading the site you directed me to I am even more confused about hosting a web site from my own computer. I purchased a domain name and intended to use a second 6GB hard drive I have as my server. Is this a reasonable idea? Do I need licensing in order to host my own web site from my home? Would you mind advising me a little more the information out there is often hard to sift through when you have no context for culling the truth from the chaff. Thanks. Matt

Yes ive used that site to help me Lean HTML and Java for the first time :)

That's very helpful information and I thank you. Can you or zerox recommend a host that is inexpensive but reliable? This is purely for hobby at this point and I want to spend as little as possible but use my own domain name. Appreciated you cut way down on my learning curve and research time.

Matt

ZER0X

VIP Member
Well you could go with www.geocities.com They have pretty cheap host and you can also sign up fot a free one if you want to basically practice making your site :) i'll keep looking around for ya ;)

Quick replies thank you both. I have three days off and want to make some headway before I go back. I'll look at both of these. ANy advice on creating noteworthy web pages, do's and do not's?

Matt

reformed

banned
laliberte_family said:
I am not very savy about websites and building them. It has been on my mind for some time now to build my own web site and host it myself at home. Could you recommend some good books and/or websites to help a total newbie get started build and hosting a site?

With thanks

Matt :D

Often if you go into large computing forums, there will be people who will host your website for you for free, just to feed their interests.