Advice for GPU upgrade

uverworldx

New Member
There's the spec of my computer right now

CPU: AMD ATHLON64 X2 3800+ 2.0GHz (might OC a little bit)
Mobo: Asus M2A-VM
Ram: 2 gig (dual-channel)

So. my question is should I buy a Radeon HD 5670 for this computer? Will this work well. I can't afford to build a new computer atm that's why I want to upgrade my old one to same some money.
 
Well if it were me I would probably upgrade the motherboard so later on you can upgrade the CPU, RAM and so on to your likings. Not to mention that the motherboard will be of better build quality, probably have more SATA ports and have a better OCing capability. Something like this will do the job. So for example, when you get the money you could upgrade the CPU (processor) to say an AMD Phenom II x3 710, the RAM to 4gbs of ddr3 and the GPU to, say a 5670 like you mentioned before. That's all it really takes for a nice (upto date) pc.
 
Last edited:
wow thanks for all the advice guys! The things is that I just want to get a new GPU for this computer because the onboard gpu is not really good for gaming. I will have to buy a new power supply (corsair hx 650W). What GPU should I buy then? At first i wanted a 5670 or 5770 but now i'm confuse lol and my other question is will the gpu get bottle necked by my current cpu?
 
will the 5770 work well with my current spec? because ill buy parts from my computer one by one.. ill be getting the video card to run it on my current spec to see if i can play games like Dirt2,Crisis,etc on high settings. if not ill just get a new mobo + cpu ( an i5 750 or i7 920)
 
It does look like it has a PCI-E (1 or 2?) port based on newegg so the 5770 would be a faster GPU. Even if your system slows down the card at least it will be a decent card in a new system later. The Corsair 650hx is a great PSU and will work on a new system, 650tx is not modular but a better value. I would get an i5-750 all day every day over the i7-920.

Oh, it depends on your definition of high settings. The 5770 can play on high settings with a high end system but not at 60PFS, 60fps is the benchmark for high settings in many reviews. If you have the money get a 5850 as the lowest cost high end card made today. It probably is faster than you system right now, but it would not be too fast for an i5-750 build.

See the links I put into the which would be better thread.

http://www.computerforum.com/172521-would-better.html
 
Last edited:
The 5000 series are all PCI-E 2.1, I;m running my 5770 a 1.1 slot with no issues to report. PCI-E is all backwards compatible, from 1.0 to 3.0 (3.0 hasn't been released yet)
 
Back
Top