Advice needed for a noobie: Athlon XP 2800+ or P4 2.6ghz

Zach_300zxTT

Hi everyone, I just registered today. This looks like a very nice website. Anyway, I have a question regarding a new computer. I am mainly looking for a nice computer for gaming purposes (Vietcong and Doom 3 in particular). I have been seriously considering an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ equipped 512mb RAM (333mhz). Do you guys think this computer would be acceptable for games such as Doom 3? How does the Athlon compare to a P4 2.6ghz?

Thank you in advance for your help,
-Zach Lindsey

4W4K3

VIP Member
u plan on overclocking? the P42.6ghz isn't that fast anymore...but it should perform well. instead of a 2800+, i'd got for a 2500+/2600+ mobile chip...it'll overclock like mad and give you better performance. i think for games like DOOM3 you might want PC3200 or better...its not required...but faster RAM will always be better not only for games too. most important though would be waht gfz card do you have/plan to buy...that will make/break a computer.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Advice needed for a noobie: Athlon XP 2800+ or P4 2.6ghz
Get the P4-2.6Ghz. Even with OCing the XP2800 is outdated (and abandonded by AMD). Of course im assuming this is a Northwood C processor you're considering. If not then AMD would be the route to go. (also this assumes you're not getting crappy mobos for either setups)