Advice needed for purchasing new rig

ummaya

Hello,

I am going to purchase a new computer which I use for surfing, emailing, downloading, watching movies and gaming. I spend only a little of my spare time gaming but when it does happen, then I want my computer to be able to run my games smoothly. Most of the games I play are Strategic games like the Combat Mission series,Total War series and others of the same kind. From time to time I may play a bit a shooter like "Call of Duty" but 3D shooters are really not my priority in gaming.

My present rig which I have since May 2006 is:

CPU:AMD Athalon 64 3500 2.21GHz

Video card: GeForce 7600 GT

Memory: 2GB

Lately I downloaded the "Empire:Total War" demo and I could only play with the graphic option set on "Low" : the game runs with a bit of lag and my troops are looking like sliding on the ground instead of walking/running. At "Medium" the game is almost unplayable and the game interface does not even give me access to the "High" option and I can forget about "Very High". In 2007 I played other games of the Total War series ( Rome and Medieval II ) with the graphics on "High" with my present computer without problem. So I guess that my computer is quite out of date for some of today's games.

I am considering to purchase one of these two rigs:

"Budget" rig:

CPU: Intel i5 - 760 Core 2.8GHz

Motherboard: P55 Intel WhiteSburg

Memory: 4GB Kingston Dual Channel 2x 2048

Video card: Gainward GeForce 460GTX 768 or 1GB

+ WD 500GB Hard drive Caviar Blue + HEC case

More expensive rig:

CPU: Intel i7- 930 Quad 2.8GHz

Motherboard: X58 Intel SmackOver

Memory: 3GB Kingston Tri Channel

Video card: Gainward GeForce 460GTX 1GB or 1GB

+ WD 500GB Hard drive Caviar Blue + HEC case

Once thing I have no idea about is which power supply to buy? 300W, 500W or more?

The expensive rig cost $400 more than the budget. The price of the "budget" is a bit tight for me and to add $400 is quite a problem.

Considering the kind of games I am playing, the question is how much noticeable will be the difference between playing with the budget and the expensive one? In which cases will the difference be really noticeable?

Thanks.

Last edited:
them two rigs would play about the same, i would go with the budget rig. for the psu i would get atleast 500w.

Back