Advice Needed on How Long to Hold on to Replaced Desktop

I have 2 computers. My main one is a Toshiba Tecra A8 Notebook which I use in the bedroom & my secondary one is my desktop in my Den that I use maybe 20% of the time- Den doubles as my Bowflex work out room & I'm on the desktop between sets. I just replaced my HP m260N Media Center Pentium 4 desktop with a refurbished Core 2 1.86 GHZ Gateway GT5238E which I got for $350 inc shipping & 90 day warranty. The HP never froze or gave me problems but it was a bit slow, especially compared to the Tecra, which is why I bought the Gateway. I should add that all my OS are XP by choice. Anyway, when I got the Gateway of course it was dead on arrival. I contacted Gateway, whose customer service is the best and fastest of any company I've ever dealt with, sent the computer back at their expense and got it back fixed within a week.

It works great & is much more faster then the HP. Apparently something in the hard drive had not been configured right, initially. I just do basic computer stuff, no gaming or graphics stuff.

My question is, how long should I wait till I resell my HP, as I have no other use for it & figure I'll get $175-200 for it? In other words, how long will it take me to have a reasonably good idea this refurbished computer is working good before I sell the old one? Any advice appreciated. While I'm not desperate for the $175-$200, I still could use it.

UriA702

NOOOOOOOOOOO don't wait till the new chips come out to sell your old computer, the sooner the better. What type of specs are you running on that machine? PM ME, i might be interested in purchasing it. I need something to run as a server