Advice on builds i'm selling

dark_angel

Hi,
You may have seen threads around where I'm doing computer repairs etc in my area.

I've put together builds that i will be offering for customers to buy.
I would like feedback on whether they would be good.
They are all from my local pcdiy store and trying to stick with the brands I have chosen but any feedback on them would be welcome.
The names will be changed but just gave them something for now. Don't expect anyone to buy the future one but just showing what the best is oyu can get at the moment.

Thanks in advance
Cam

The Beginner
Computer Specifications
· ASUS P5KPL-CM Motherboard
· Intel E1500 2.20GHz
· 1GB DDR2 800 RAM
· WD 160GB Hard Drive
· Samsung DVD Drive
· 19” AOC 936SW Monitor
· Logitech Deluxe 250 Keyboard and Mouse
· X-Tec 12865 Case
· Logitech LS11 Speakers
· Ubuntu Operating System
· Free “Bring In” Servicing For 6 Months
Total: $550

*Hardware subject to availability.
*In event that components out of stock, different components will be substituted at further cost
*Prices subject to change, contact us for updates.
*Components interchangeable at consumers’ desire.
*Windows operating system available at further cost

The Casual
Computer Specifications
· Intel E5300 2.60GHz
· Windows XP Home Edition
· 2GB DDR2 RAM
· 500GB Hard Disk Drive
· 22" BenQ G2220HD Screen
· Nvidia GF 8400GS
· Logitech EX90 Keyboard and Mouse
· Logitech LS21 Speakers
· 22x Samsung DVD Drive
· GoldenField 2870B Case
· Avira AntiVir Free Edition
· Spybot Search and Destroy
· Comodo Firewall
· Free Optimization
Total: $900

The Media Enthusiast
Computer Specifications
· Intel E7500 2.93GHz
· Windows Vista Home Premium w/ Windows 7 Upgrade
· 2GB DDR2 RAM
· 1TB Hard Disk Drive
· 21.5” BenQ HD Monitor
· Nvidia 9400GT
· Logitech EX90 Keyboard and Mouse
· Logitech X-230 Speakers*
· 22x Samsung DVD Drive
· Cooler Master Elite 310 Case
· Comodo Firewall
· Free Optimization

Total: $1,200

The Gamer
Computer Specifications
· Asus P5QSE
· Intel Q8400 2.66GHz
· Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit w/ Windows 7 Upgrade
· 4GB DDR2 RAM
· 1TB Hard Disk Drive
· 24” BenQ HD Monitor
· Nvidia GTX 260
· Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
· Logitech LS1 Laser Mouse
· Logitech X-530 Speakers *
· 22x Samsung DVD Drive
· Cooler Master HAF RC 922M Gaming Case
· Cooler Master Extreme Power 550W Power Supply
· Comodo Firewall
· Free Optimization

Total: $1800

The Monster
Computer Specifications
· Intel Core i7-920
· Asus P6T-SE
· Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit w/ Windows 7 Upgrade
· 6GB DDR3 RAM
· 80GB Hard Disk Drive For Operating System
· 2x 1TB Hard Disk Drives
· 24” BenQ HD Monitor
· Nvidia GTX 275
· Logitech EX110
· 22x Samsung DVD Drive
· Antec Nine Hundred
· Logitech Z-2300
· Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 650W
· Comodo Firewall
· Free Optimization
· Free “Bring In” Servicing For 12 Months

Total: $2,700

The Future
Computer Specifications
· Asus P6T
· Intel Core i7 950 3.00GHz
· Windows Vista Ultimate
· 12GB DDR3 RAM
· 80GB Hard Disk Drive for Operating System
· 3x 1TB Hard Disk Drives
· 26” ASUS VK266H
· Nvidia GTX 295
· Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
· Logitech MX-550
· Logitech Z-550
· LG Blu-Ray HD-DVD Drive
· Antec Twelve Hundred Case
· Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W*
· Comodo Firewall
· Free Optimization
· Free “Bring In” Servicing For 12 Months
Total: $5,000

just a noob

for 5 grand, give them something better, same goes for the $2700 rig, i believe i paid $1500 for all the parts, and upon me getting a bigger psu, i'll have sli gtx 285's

dark_angel

thanks for feedback. I'll see for those 2 builds but when i did these up they were the parts that cost the most at the store.

dark_angel

Newegg would be great if only they sipped to Australia. I always see great deals but thats the only thing. If only they would.

Fatback

VIP Member
I'm curious why do none of your builds have AMD CPU's or ATI GPU's do you have something against them? Your customers will get a much better deal if you use AMD quad core's instead of those Intel dual core's. The E8400 and the Phenom II 955 almost cost the same. A 4870 is cheaper then a GTX 260 and just as good. A 5870 is better then a GTX 295 and cheaper. Make a couple of builds with AMD and ATI equivalents and you will see how much better of a computer you can get for the same price. Then again your are in AU so this may not be the case. Also you didn't specify which PSU you are using. I hope you don't use cheap PSU's because it will defeat the purpose of the whole idea if the computers are going to have PSU failure.

Take my advice don't quite your day job for this business. There is almost no money to be made in building custom computers. Just about any body can learn how to build a computer by watching a couple of youtube videos. Then most of them come to this or another forum for help with the parts list. The only time there is money in building computer is if it is for company's but even then unless you are cheap they will just buy for dell or some other huge but crappy brand. Most of the money for computers is made from repairs computer are always breaking or screwing up and most people don't know how to fix them.

dark_angel

thanks. I'm mainly bias against the amd and ati as i've never used them but if i did i'm sure i wouldn't be. Just every build i've had intel and nvidia. I'm not exactly doing this as a main job or so it's something i'm doing on the side. I am mainly doing repairs but thought i'd have builds available as well so I can show how cheap it is to build your own against buying from dell and such.

Do you think I shouldn't advertise any?

Fatback

VIP Member
thanks. I'm mainly bias against the amd and ati as i've never used them but if i did i'm sure i wouldn't be. Just every build i've had intel and nvidia. I'm not exactly doing this as a main job or so it's something i'm doing on the side. I am mainly doing repairs but thought i'd have builds available as well so I can show how cheap it is to build your own against buying from dell and such.

Do you think I shouldn't advertise any?

Almost every member here will vouch for AMD/ATI. They are just as good as any Nvidia or Intel. Expect for price that is AMD/ATI is much cheaper then the old core 2 quads and core 2 duos. Plus they perform about the same and most of the time better. Also you got to remember not everyone who wants a computer will want Intel so you have to have a variety of choices.

On your Intel builds make a list of ever CPU that will work with the motherboard that comes with it. Then list how much more each upgrade will cost. Then do the same for AMD builds. You should at least put together a couple of AMD builds just in case.

Matthew1990

I'd have to disagree with Fatback about AMD / ATI being better than Intel / nVidia.
I've had really bad experience with both, and I'd advise anyone to stay away.

Nice builds. I was planning to do something like that myself. I live in Scotland, study Computing and building computers and then selling them on is a good way of getting some extra money. I need some money to start with first :D

Bacon

I'd have to disagree with Fatback about AMD / ATI being better than Intel / nVidia.

Nice builds. I was planning to do something like that myself. I live in Scotland, study Computing and building computers and then selling them on is a good way of getting some extra money. I need some money to start with first :D

"had" meaning you probably used older AMD/ATI products. The new products are much better than before and ATI stomps nVidia atm.

Fatback

VIP Member

No where did I ever say that AMD was better then Intel. If you would go back in read you will see what I said. Let me Quote that for you.

Almost every member here will vouch for AMD/ATI. They are just as good as any Nvidia or Intel. Expect for price that is AMD/ATI is much cheaper then the old core 2 quads and core 2 duos. Plus they perform about the same and most of the time better.

As you can see all that I said was the AMD is cheaper then the Core 2 Quads/Duos. Then I said most of the time AMD(talking about the Phenom II of course) are equal or better.

No no , I had 4850, which lasted 4 months and 4830 with the IceQ cooler and that lasted 2.5 months.

Those cards messing up has nothing to do with ATI or AMD. That is the manufacture fault. AMD/ATI just make the chipsets. The manufactures like HIS,XFX,Sapphire,ASUS,etc are the ones who make the cards. So if you had a problem with one it is not AMD/ATI fault is the cards manufacture fault. You should not of had a problem getting either of them replaced.