advice on motherboard

neogamer

New Member
I am looking at building my first gaming PC thru Alienware, and have a question regarding motherboards. They offer the 680i and the 790i chipsets, at a premium of $500.
I am thinking dual video cards 9800, 4G Ram, K1 Killer, Core Duo at 3.16
I can configure on either mother board, but is the extra $500 for the newest chipset worth it?

I haven't been doing any gaming, as my existing PC doesn't support it well. Very old video card, XP, P4 3G.

Appreciate any insights.

Thanks
 
dont order from alienware, you can get the alx 2.1 cases on ebay for around 250, let me put up what those parts cost from newegg edit: the 790i costs 350 dollars, if its 9800gt's then its 300 dollars, if its 9800gtx+'s then, its 400 dollars, 4gbs of ddr3 will cost around 300-400 dollars, the k1 killer isn't even worth it, it just wastes a slot, the e8500 costs 190 dollars or so
 
Last edited:
I have never built a PC. I have installed RAM (once) and a second hard driver (once), and have no network here for support if I screw it up.

I thought building it thru Alienware was safer. I priced out parts thru Tiger Direct (I am in Canada), and they came out to be about $C2700 - slightly less than the $3000 that Alienware wanted.

Do wires, connections, etc come with a case? I have never looked into cases. SUch as, what is an alx 2.1?
 
Back
Top