Advice on new computer to buy

Conkernog

HI, just looking for some advice on what computer to get. Our 5 y/o Dell Dimension 5000 finally conked out and when i went online looking at potential replacements i was mostly confused by all the seemingly randoms strings of numbers attached to things. Im not particularily bad at computers or anything, software is easy for me but i just dont know how good certain graphics cards and processors etc are.
This is some info on our old computer if it at all helps
# Operating system:Windows 2.5.1.2600 (SP 3)
# CPU type: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
# CPU Speed (GHz):3.012
# System memory (GB):2.998
# Graphics card model:RADEON X300 Series
# Graphics card driver:ati2dvag.dll
# Desktop resolution:1024x768
# Hard disk size (GB):146.206

Mostly we want something that will run games well but also usable for the normal things like office work etc. Im not gonna be running 2 windows of crysis or anything, Starcraft 2 when it comes out ( Giggidy!) , WoW and whatever next gen MMO i pick up in a futile effort to try to replace WoW.

Also, we would prefer a dell just as we have always bought dell and rarely have a problem with them, though i am open to suggestions.
Thanks very nuch if you can help :D

Conkernog

im living in ireland and i suppose our Budget would maybe be around 1000-1400 ish euro, equivalent to 1200 - 1 690.64 dollars

rawcomputers

Rarely had a problem with Dell? Never heard that before.

There's lots of great deals, for your pricerange you could probably keep using your monitor and get a system with an intel core2 quad, 4-8gb ddr3 and definatley enough video to play wow or sc2 (not very demanding games)
Look for something with atleast 640gb-1tb (should be closer to the high end for your price range)
If you wanted a new monitor too, that's probably 150ish Euro which would deduct from your overall system specs or demand more cash.

Conkernog

Thanks for the advice , that alienware looks sexy as hell =O, I dont think we'll need anything up to a Tbb in memory though knowing the way technology is growing ya never know ;D

RoboticSun

I will say change the CPU to dual core and graphics card to Geforce 7000+ or Radeon X1000+ at least for starcraft 2

rawcomputers

Thanks for the advice , that alienware looks sexy as hell =O, I dont think we'll need anything up to a Tbb in memory though knowing the way technology is growing ya never know ;D

price out systems with i3's or i5's, 4gb ddr3 and a decent video card like the radeon 5850 - should come in the mid of your price range and let you get a nice lcd as well

Conkernog

Ive been looking around and trying different computers, customising em etc to see what the price is working out at. Because we're not going to be using the computer for very advanced or hardware heavy games, im not sure i can justify getting the alienware, though i would love to =P.
What do ye think of this computer? Dell Studio XPS 8100

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...en&m_30=322642&oc=D00X8101&rbc=D00X8101&s=dhs

Worth it's money or better to be found for the price, or is it powerful enough etc. Dont want something that will be out dated in only 1 or 2 years =P

THanks again , parents are a bit computer illiterate so they want me to do the shopping around for them, only thing that makes sense to them is the price tag unfortunately =P

rawcomputers

For something like that you'll find a great price on an HP, or get a custom builder to do it for you. I'd charge about 20% less and guaranteed use a better drive and motherboard than Dell