elsmandino

Hello everyone,

I am proposing to build the following PC:

Antec P-182
2 X 2GB Corsair PC6400 RAM
E8400
ASUS P5Q-E
HDD X for
1TB Samsung Spinpoint OR 640GB Western Digital Caviar Black (For OS and Programmes)
1TB Samsung Spinpoint (For important Documents and Media)
Corsair TX 750W
Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 - Vapour X
Pioneer DVR-215
XP

By way of background, I shall be buying Windows 7 64-bit, when it comes out and then maxing the Ram.
I am not a big gamer and am unlikely to upgrade the graphics card and will certainly not be adding
a second card - the only likely future upgrades would be a couple more hard drives, perhaps more fans (if needed), a TV Tuner

Card/TV Capture Card and a dedicated sound card. I might upgrade to a Quadcore in the next few years - my current computer

is an AMD XP 2500, so you can see I leave quite a while between upgrades. I am also certain I would like to take the Intel

rather than AMD route.

Other than the usual, I use my comp for basic video editing and music recording with Cubase and the like.

Have spent quite a while coming up with the above specs and would be really grateful for your comments before I take the

plunge - anything that I should change, recommended alternatives or additions etc.

The only thing that I have noted that is that perhaps the 750W is perhaps overkill, even including head room for upgrades. I

know that having a much more powerful PSU than requested is not bad, but is a waste of cash if a weaker PSU would do. PSUs

are something I know little about and am not entirely sure.

Another thing is the hard drive I should use for my system files. The Caviar is slightly faster than the spinpoint, but the

spinpoint is a whole 320GB extra for little extra cost - what would you choose?

Would also be grateful for any estimates on how much you think this would cost to put together - is it better to buy

separately or get it pre-built by a company (I have read online that getting it done this way can be pretty competitive).

Many thanks

Al

daisymtc

Get AMD instead!
intel will change the socket very soon, which means your PC will not be upgradable in future!.
Or you should wait until Corei5 CPU released. last time I heard will be in Sept, not sure the exact time.

If you are not going to upgrade with high end video card or run dual video card 750W PSU is unnecessary. A 500W PSU can do the job.
BTW, I can't understand the logic behind your HDD and second video card...

Anyway, here is my suggest changes to get better performance-

AMD Phenom II X4 955
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193

G.SKILL 2 x 2GBDDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128392
Get the 790X/ 790FX chipset mobo if you want to crossfire...

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

Last edited:

Fatback

VIP Member
You said you won't to be able to upgrade the CPU later on well your not going to be able to do that with an Intel socket LGA 775 as they will not be making any more CPU's to fit this socket. The only way you will be able to upgrade is if you get AMD which are just as power full as Intel. You could wait for the new i5's to come out but that's not really necessary unless you really won't Intel and can wait till September.

Fatback

VIP Member
just get a good 775 quad core. why do you care if you cant upgrade, if you already getting a fast quad.

If you would read what he said he does not won't a quad core right now but would like to upgrade to one later one. If he gets a socket 775 and a dual core then he will not be able to upgrade it when he is ready.

Bodaggit23

1TB Samsung Spinpoint OR 640GB Western Digital Caviar Black (For OS and Programmes)
1TB Samsung Spinpoint (For important Documents and Media)
Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Samsung drives.
Go with the Western Digital.

intel will change the socket very soon, which means your PC will not be upgradable in future!.

If he gets a socket 775 and a dual core then he will not be able to upgrade it when he is ready.
This is simply not true. He's chosen an E8400 CPU and a P5Q-E.

Any Core 2 Quad will go on that board, and would be a definite upgrade.

Fatback

VIP Member
Any Core 2 Quad will go on that board, and would be a definite upgrade.

Yea but in one or two years when he wants to upgrade the CPU it will be hard for him to find a core 2 quads unless he get one used.

Off topic but anyways, Fatback pretty funny picture you got there amd inside inside intel outside lol

lol yea it is a good pic. I used to love Intel then I got tired of over paying for there CPU's and switched to AMD that is one decision I will never regret.

Last edited: