Advice please.

RoyP

When I switch my computer on and AVG updates, I find that I am unable to use the computer, this sometimes lasts for 10/15mins. which is very frustrating.

Why is this and is there a solution?

I have a Dell Dimension 5000, with Pentium 4 and 512MB ram.

Thanks for any suggestions.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
AVG is a bloat hog when it updates unless you have a stronger system. I say remove AVG and go with Avast! instead.

Quiltface

if your in love with avg try uninstalling it and reinstalling it... if that doesnt work i wouldnt bother with it and get avast, mse, or something else to fill you av needs. I loathe AVG

Slacker7

Agree with the above about AVG. At one time it was an excellent product but as has already been stated it is a bloatware.

Avast would be a very good choice.

*** Also, you gave us the fact that your system only has 512megs of RAM. If you had a full two gigs your would definitely notice a difference with your PC.

vnsmith

banned
uninstall the old AVG.. then download another version of it..the latest one..If that doesn't work either.. scan your computer OL for possible virus attack..

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well, only having 512mb of ram doesn't help things. It also depends on what else is starting up on bootup causing the slowdown. You may have every little program and update starting up. If you would like to know if you have unnecessary programs running at bootup then you can run hijackthis and post the logfile from it.

You may also want to run malwarebytes and scan for malware.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here or here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Download the HijackThis installer from here.
Run the installer and choose Install, indicating that you accept the licence agreement. The installer will place a shortcut on your desktop and launch HijackThis.

Click Do a system scan and save a logfile

Most of what HijackThis lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Post the logfile that HijackThis produces along with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log