Advice request for gaming computer purchase

Hello, all,

I'm planning on buying a new, pre-built gaming computer (from ibuypower.com) soon and am interested in getting some feedback from people who know more about these kinds of things than I do. My desired objective is to get a computer that will be able to run the latest games at an acceptable performance level (defined as >30 fps, low-medium settings) for the longest time possible before I'll need to get a new computer. However, I do not wish to spend much more than $1100 (roughly the price of the configuration below). Could you please let me know if you have any recommendations or discern any problems with the configuration below? I intend to add a second GTX 460 (via SLI) and possibly some more RAM at some point in the future. My primary concerns are the following; however, any and all comments/recommendations are appreciated:

1. Will my power supply/cooling be sufficient? How about when I add a second GPU? What if I do some mild overclocking?

2. Should I get a faster CPU to better "balance the system out" with my future dual GPUs?

3. Is the professional wiring a waste of money (I wouldn't know how to do it myself)?

Thank you all for your assistance!

Here are the specs of my planned purchase:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955
GPU: GTX 460 1GB
Motherboard: ASUS M4N98TD EVO
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1600
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 TRX-750M (750 Watt)
HDD: 500 GB Hard Drive - 16M cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0 Gb/s
-Liquid CPU Cooling System (can upgrade to Asetek 550LC for +$18, and add 2 Enermax fans for another $30)
-Tuniq TX-2 Thermal Compound
-Basic Professional Wiring ($20)

NOTE: I know that ibuypower is not known for their customer service, but they are one of the few places I can order from that offer service at a time other than 8am-5pm (EST) on weekdays. I work a regular full-time job, so it would be a tremendous hassle for me to make time to call during this time. It would also suck to get up and call ibuypower at 5am, but it's better than nothing.

daisymtc

PSU should enough for SLi GTX 460.

While for CPU, if you want faster, probably need to go for intel.

I am not sure the difference between normal wiring or professional wiring

ScOuT

VIP Member
1. I am not sure what type of liquid cooling it has...the work network I cannot open the website. I would guess it is not that great...might want to look at good air coolers instead of a cheap low quality liquid cooling system.

3. I would not waste the money on the wiring service...I would get it myself and do my own cable management.

Last edited: