After a new desktop. UK

RyanWilson

Hey, so im after a new desktop but before i start with my requirements, i must say i live in the UK and the computer must be from the Uk, and in UK currency.
So..
I'm a student studying Web Design so it needs to have 4-8gb memory and 1tb of hard drive.
I like to play the odd game on my computer also, so a good, dedicated graphics card is essential.
Intel core i5 2nd gen is what i would prefer in the processor but you may be able to persuade me with a better processor. The rest is pretty much the best i can get for my budget...

Which is £550

Thankyou for your time :)

SuperDuperMe

Do you plan on bbuilding it yourself? As for that budget im not sure you could achieve what you want. Also do you need peripherals like monitor, mouse etc and windows 7?

RyanWilson

Thanks for the response, i forgot to add that a monitor will be included in this budget, i may be able to stretch to £600 if its worth it!
As for building my own, i dont think i would be able to do it, do you mean have a shop build it specifically for me or buy each component seperatly and build at home?

SuperDuperMe

if your after everything with that budget, the best thin g you can do is build it, its not too hard and most people on here can help if you get stuck.

If your adament on not building you may have to scale back what you want, for example, you will either have to sacrifice a dedicated gpu or the cpu you want.

If you do go the oem route, you will also have to upgrade your psu in the future to enable you to use a better gpu. (i presume you would sacrifice the gpu as its the part you i would think you wouldnt need as much as the others.)

jonnyp11

well he pretty much has to come down on a few things, i mean the 2500k alone is 180, a good mobo min around 100, os is 70 or 80 i think, even for 600, you will want to go amd for the cpu and they perform fine, you won't notice hardly any difference really.

RyanWilson

Okay so if i do go through with building my own, where do i start? sorry if this is a stupid question but i have no idea. I really appreciate your help by the way guys!:good:

jonnyp11

i can put a list together for you right now.

Does you're college or whatever have any deals on operating systems? that would help cuz right now i'm not sure if 600 is enought for the monitor and all too.

Last edited:

RyanWilson

I dont think they do no, how much would i be looking at? £600 would be my ultimate max so would you suggest downgrading an i5 to an i3 for example? the graphics card doesnt have to be top end either. I only play games from the internet, very rarely do i play games off of disc. Ive seen a monitor in my local 'Currys' store which is £100 for a 24" monitor, i dont know if thats cheaper or more expensive than the ones your looking at?

jonnyp11

well right now i'm going off an amd phenom x4 960t which costs about the same as an i3, and right now it's staying around 620 without any gpu at all, do you need 1tb or can you use 500gb's?

Last edited:

RyanWilson

Okay, and yeah i could cope with 500gb, are you sure building your own comes cheaper than maybe buying from a shop? theres desktops flying around in the sales at the moment.

SuperDuperMe

If you dont want to build, ocuk configurer is good. However, you will be limited in the future, as the best cpu they offer isnt a k series meaning you cant overclock. That said i would still take that over the bulldozer chip they offer.

With that configurer you could manage a 6770 and the i5 2300.

Do you need mouse and keyboard?

jonnyp11