After upgrade, RAM score LOWERED?

Krazyshank

Hello, a relative of mine has an Alienware computer and he recently upgraded from 4 gigs to 8 gigs of RAM. He gave me the 4 gigs of "old" ram for my computer. I already had 4 gigs but this ram seemed better than what I had currently.

New RAM: http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=13410BD5260&vpn=PDC24G6400LLK&manufacture=PATRIOT

OLD RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4&PID=4169961&SID=irbh94tf7dtb#scrollFullInfo

Each in total is 4 gigs and that is what is recognized in my computer. BUT before the upgrade, my ram score in windows 7 was 5.3, after, it was 5.2.

Why is this?

P.S. My computer is this: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps400/sm/specs.htm
The supported Mhz for the ram is 553 or 667, this RAM is 800, but I would guess it would take the benefit of the doubt and go to 667 instead of 553.
Or is that the problem?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
The downclock of the new RAM to match the old RAM might be the problem there.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup id take out the old 4gb kit and sell it,Its holding back your new better ram.

Krazyshank

SOo basically, the ram that was given to me is worse (atleast on my system) than the stuff I had in it.

EDIT: ok I think I need to clarify things.
The patriot ram was the stuff that was given to me from his computer and gave me a lower score, the ram I already had in my comp is the second link

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
SOo basically, the ram that was given to me is worse (atleast on my system) than the stuff I had in it.

EDIT: ok I think I need to clarify things.
The patriot ram was the stuff that was given to me from his computer and gave me a lower score, the ram I already had in my comp is the second link

No. The new RAM is a higher clockspeed than the old RAM which has a lower clockspeed. Therefore, the new RAM must downclock to the same speed as the old RAM. That is why your score is worse.

lastwish91

simple terms the one you were given is better than the old one. so the new one has to dumb its self down to match the old one. so get rid of the old one. and get a new one that matches the one you were given

Krazyshank

simple terms the one you were given is better than the old one. so the new one has to dumb its self down to match the old one. so get rid of the old one. and get a new one that matches the one you were given

So buy more ram? What? I understand that the new ram is better. And I know it has to dumb its self down, but why would the scores be lower even if the timings are better?

pwlljakob

there might be something in the computer called
dontbuydell.exe ;) which may be the problem...
Just Kidding, Lets Get To The Point
Like Everyone Is Saying Your Old RAM Is The Issue Here Your New Ram Has To DownClock To Match the Clockspeed of the old ram...