AGP/graphics aperture size

mgoldb2

VIP Member
I set the graphic aperture size in the bios to 256 becuase I thought this should match the amount of ram on my video card.

I was board yesterday and looking through the video card setup manual and in perfered bios settings it said to set the aperture size to 4mb.

In my bios the only options are 32,64,128,256. which one of these setting are I suppose to use with a geforce 6800 ultra.

finally what is the graphic aperture size mean and what affect does it have.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
mgoldb2 said:
I set the graphic aperture size in the bios to 256 becuase I thought this should match the amount of ram on my video card.

I was board yesterday and looking through the video card setup manual and in perfered bios settings it said to set the aperture size to 4mb.

In my bios the only options are 32,64,128,256. which one of these setting are I suppose to use with a geforce 6800 ultra.

finally what is the graphic aperture size mean and what affect does it have.

From what I know, the aperture memory will not come into play until the memory on your video card is running low...anyway.. I think setting it at 128 for a card that has between 64MB and 256MB of Video Ram is plenty.

oh and I think you were confusing the size with the speed...

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
aperature size is the amount of system RAM you want to allow your video card to access through the AGP bus. for a 256mb card I doubt it will see much use but setting it high doesn't matter, as SFR said it wont be used until the oncard memory is used up. I usually set this to half of my system RAM but setting it to whatever wont hurt anything.