AIM messenger not login for 1 year +up = friend list wipe?

UpskirtHayley

in AIM messenger..... pretend if u dont login for about 1 year and up..... will your friend list be wipe? 0 in friend list?

i am wondering and want to confirm if its AIM or something else that cause this.....

this happends long time ago..... I didnt login on aim for 1 year or up..... and login and see all my friend list wipe!!!! 0!

zaroba

can't say it's happened to me. often will go months without logging in but never payed attention to how long, so might have gone more then a year once or twice.

think of the plus side, all the people who you never talk to on it have been erased :p

The_Other_One

VIP Member
What version of AIM did you use last? I think older versions may have only stored your friends on your computer while later ones use a server. I may be wrong, but I do recall playing around with an old copy of AIM and it wouldn't pull my friends list from the server.

jbrdbr111x

well AIM has had the server side storage for I don't know, maybe 3+ years... So if this was recent, the only thing I can think about is he's using a really old version of AIM, or they have some sort of policy that if you don't use it after x amount of months they delete from server..

I usually log in every few months or so, so I've never had this problem(yet).. Maybe try downloading the newest AIM and see if that works to retrieve your list... Good Luck!!

UpskirtHayley

Well to be specific..... it is not recent. It was about 2002,2003..... I abandon aim and use msn instead. I have not login aim for 1,2,3,4 years and when login.... all my friend list is wiped!

Pretend right now is 2001..... I use aim till 2002,2003...... 2002,2003 I abandon aim then in 2004 or so I login... and all my friend list are gone! oh and I dont remember what version of aim I was using.... but probly the most latest one in 2001-2004 era.

forgive my grammar

jbrdbr111x

Yeah then, with the AIM software back then, I remember installing AIM, when I had an AOL account with the same name and it wouldn't add my friends, I had to do it one by one..

So guess that solves the problem is that 2001 era they didn't have the server side storage feature... Sorry you lost your list, but not sure about which version you had, but there's usually files in the AIM folder I don't remember what it's called, but you can find a file that has your friends on it, copy it on top of a NEW AIM installation and (Hopefully) regain those friends, or worst case be able to see a file with the names to re-type in..

I'll check on this, and if I find something will definitely let you know!!

UpskirtHayley

thanks for the help.... I check the link.... but im using firefox which disable the script that make the page wont load... I temperary disable the script but still page wont load but anyway I'm just hope it's not due to hacker/malwares that wiped my aim friends list.... if it is due to aim server ect.... it'll be ok. I dont regret much of losing my friends contact.... its been so long.

btw I have about 44 friends on my list if i remember correctly.... most of them are bearly on and most of them is people I dont know in real life..... but I do missed the old days.

jbrdbr111x

At least from now on, you can rest assured that if you have the most up to date AIM, and add more friends, that they will be on there if your PC messes up or something.. :)