Alienware computers huge ripoff?

Kirtus

just wondering.. tbh.. I saw there payment plans.. seems nice in a way.. and I read so much problems with some graphics cards just dieing in a week it's frustrating want to make sure I get the right things and not have to keep spending more cash..

CrayonMuncher

If are you talking about a laptop or a desktop (you posted it in the desktop section) if it is a desktop you should not buy from them and build you own. If it is a laptop you can post what it is you want to buy and we will see if we can better the deal.
IDK if AW has any more issues than other laptop makers. but I have consistently heard that asus laptops are very reliable.
alienware is a subsidiary of dell btw

CrazyMike

just wondering.. tbh.. I saw there payment plans.. seems nice in a way.. and I read so much problems with some graphics cards just dieing in a week it's frustrating want to make sure I get the right things and not have to keep spending more cash..

Payment plan? ewwww.

I bought my DELL a little while ago. I chosed to put it on their famous payment plan. They expect me to pay $65/month for 6 years. The reason i went with the payment plan is because it's an awesome way to build up credit. I plan to pay it off in the first year (time it takes to actually affect your credit rating) but even then i will have paid $250 in interest. The full 6 years, $1200 interest. Unless planning to pay it off very quickly, don't go payment plan.

My laptop is basically an Alienware laptop. It has all the components that the Alienware comes with, except the case. If it wasn't for my deal i got through work, i would have never bought this thing. Way over priced. Alienware, same deal, overpriced. With alienware you get pretty good hardware, but your mostly paying for the name and case. So unless you don't mind paying for it, don't do it.

Laptops to me are not built for gaming. Yes they can have good hardware in them to run games (like mine does) but is still not the greatest for gaming. The more performance you put into a computer, the more power you need to run it. Batteries are not the greatest for power for gaming. Neither is leaving a laptop plugged in 24/7. Not to mention that laptops run hotter then a desktop so components (if ran at high temps all the time ie gaming) will burn out faster.

My suggestion is if you are looking for a laptop for gaming, don't go Alienware. Overpriced for one, laptops are built for gaming for another, and payment plans suck if you're not planning to pay it off really quick.

EDIT: In my stupidity, i didn't even consider the Desktop idea. If you're thinking about buying an Alienware Desktop, smack yourself and build (or get one build for you) your own. Way better quality/performance/looks/price.

Last edited:

CrazyMike

Alienware is a ripoff due to pricing. Quality suffers too i would think.

I wouldn't go as far as quality suffers. a) depends what model he goes with b) depends what you mean by quality (components are pretty good in them, just the motherboard kinda sucks.)

**Talking laptop**

wolfeking

banned
I wouldn't go as far as quality suffers. a) depends what model he goes with b) depends what you mean by quality (components are pretty good in them, just the motherboard kinda sucks.)

**Talking laptop**
Being a non business class laptop, the quality will suffer. Its more to do with design than the parts. Plus dell has had some Overheating issues too. Alienware is a dell basically, thus may have heat problems too.

CrazyMike

Being a non business class laptop, the quality will suffer. Its more to do with design than the parts. Plus dell has had some Overheating issues too. Alienware is a dell basically, thus may have heat problems too.

My XPS is basically an Alienware in an XPS case. Heat, yes you are right it is a slight issue. While running games in 3D, temps can reach up to 75C. Performance, i have never seen a laptop that can keep up (took me well over a year to decide on this one. After researching and what not). So i would totally agree with you, it is mainly due to the case design over anything. Although i wouldn't trade my laptop for any other.

Kirtus

thanks alot for all the replys and yeah I was planning on paying it off relatively fast.. also thought the credit idea was nice.. but your all right building my own would definetly be a cheaper and even a better idea.. just might have to wait for my next paycheck xD was excited wanted to get one fast :p

jonnyp11

if you were to order from newegg.ca, they have payment plans, and also you can check canada computers too, they may do it too.