Alineware Aurora PC

dafitza

Hello,

I have considered building a system due to numerous sites stating it is a much better deal. I have never built a computer before however, and really would rather pruchase something with a warranty. While pricing parts on newegg also, I didn't find a huge discrepency in prices.

What I would like is honest opinions on the value of this system, barring the you could save a couple hundred bucks building it yourself. If it was 500 bucks, I would consider it! ($200 for the time to build and potential for things going wrong building it myself isn't worth it.)

Catalog Number: 29 DPCWDX1
Alienware Aurora Alienware Aurora Desktop
Operating Systems Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit
2nd Processor Intel® Core™ i7 920 2.66GHz (8MB Cache) Quad Core Processor
Memory 6GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3
Keyboard Alienware Multi-Media Keyboard
Video Cards Single 1.8GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295 GTX295 [320-0859]
Hard Drive 500GB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD
Mouse Alienware Optical Mouse, MG100
Optical Drive Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability 24DVDRW
Hardware Support Services 1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
Cooling Option Alienware™ High-Performance Liquid Cooling

Thanks!

PS This system with taxes and free shipping runs just under $2000.

Last edited:

dafitza

Aha. That is much cheaper. Is that company reliable? I have read many reviews of ibuypower saying they sucked.\

And thank you.

EDIT: Uggh that was what I was afraird of. The BBB gives them a C rating and over at the pcworld forums there are threads upon threads of them sucking. This is quite the difficult decision.

Last edited:

ScottALot

Well, what do you expect? They build the computer for you, so labor charges.

BUILD IT YOURSELF
Or I'll build it for you.

ganzey

banned
aha. That is much cheaper. Is that company reliable? I have read many reviews of ibuypower saying they sucked.\

and thank you.

Edit: Uggh that was what i was afraird of. The bbb gives them a c rating and over at the pcworld forums there are threads upon threads of them sucking. This is quite the difficult decision.

ibuypower is kind of their rival, so of course they are gonna say negative things about them

CardboardSword

Building a performance computer will pretty much always come out cheaper than the pre-built alternative. Unless you find a steal or sale somewhere, but that's about the only exception. If you really aren't that confident on building your own, and you have the money to piss away :p go right ahead and buy a pre-built, I'm sure you'll be quite happy either way. I do feel the need to say, that no matter how intimidating it seems right now, building is NOT as hard as it appears. With a little bit of help getting some parts together and a guide or two, you'll be done before you know it, and with a couple hundred dollars extra to put some games on your monster.

G25r8cer

Alienware and Ibuypower are both WAY overpriced. If you are looking for something with high specs you would be better off building yourself.

dafitza

Okay, so after seeing how overpriced Alienware is and how customer service and products of cyberpower and ibuypower seem to generally suck, I am taking the advice and building my first pc.

Here are the parts. Wish me luck!

CPU Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 290
Video Card EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit DDR3
Motherboard ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Power Supply CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V
Memory OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Case COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full
Optical Drive SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE
Hard Drive SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA
Monitor SAMSUNG 2343BWX High Glossy Black 23" 5ms 16:9 Widescreen LCD
CPU Fan ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler
OS Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit