All around puzzled w/ setup *Help!*

kamahlrf

Hello there! I am decent with computers but a little lost on this one in general.

My friends and I have embarked on a journey by purchasing an arcade machine. It runs off a standard linux setup and is in fantastic cosmetic condition (As was the price!) but not having so much luck with actually getting it up and running.

When we purchased it, we were told it was a HD issue. So I went and built a new HD using SLAX so it would boot off Linux. After doing all that, we have concluded it was not the HD, but leaves us guessing as to what the problem is. It would boot up perfectly fine but then after getting into the program, after 20~ seconds, the system would lock up and the screen would haywire as such:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u178/fallenmtangel/SSPX5604.jpg

We were directed to it as a graphics error, but being built-in to the mobo, we ordered a new mobo. Now that the mobo has arrived, our PSU died! So we tried a spare PSU and had the setup fine. Flipped the switch and the monitor wasn't receiving any signal. We then noticed that the CPU fan was not running, at all, but the PSU was. Double/Triple checked all the connections, including the CPU fan, the SYSfan, the 20-pin, the 4-pin, everything, and still wouldn't read. It will not even post. I am unsure on how to proceed at this point.

So now my question before I sink more money into this project:

A) Is it possible that this could just be a mobo error? The PSU IS running, but that is all that is running. Maybe a bad 20-pin port?

B) The manual for the new PSU recommends running a 350W PSU. We tested it with a 250W PSU but obviously no post. The old mobo ran off of a 240W PSU when it recommended a 340W PSU. Would this make/break the difference in it even posting? Would ordering a newer PSU up to par with what the mobo recommends fix it?

I am more leaning towards a bad mobo, but would rather ask others before I try anything since I know RMA'ing anything can take weeks. Since it runs in Linux, and I have to do all editing via SLAX, I am pretty limited to what drivers I can install, and the reason I picked the new mobo is that it used the same drivers as the old mobo.

Sorry for the long post, and I appreciate any help in advance!
Thanks,
Ryan

Dngrsone

VIP Member
The original problem does look like a graphics card issue (or bad resolution settings).

Make sure your cables, particularly the IDE cables, are installed correctly (Pin1 to Pin1).

kamahlrf

Every cable was double/triple checked, including every plug from the PSU, as well as every ribbon/IDE cable, etc. Just seems like we figure out a step, and get farther and farther away! But I'm glad to hear a second opinion about it being a graphics issue (originally).

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Kind of off the main subject, but what arcade machine is that? It kind of looks like Dance Dance Revolution/In The Groove/Pump.

kamahlrf

It is indeed an In The Groove 2 dedicab. Just trying to get it working so we can play :(

Any advice at all on how to continue would be fantastic.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
You could try the DDRFreak or Bemanistyle forums. DDRFreak has an arcade machine section and the guys over there are pretty knowledgeable on the arcade machines; don't know about ITG specifically though.

kamahlrf

Well I have posts up on BoxorRoxors and the like, but the main thing is that it's not ITG specific, as more of just a general hardware problem that I am having.

I just need some advice as to if the problem is regarding the lower wattage or if it's possibly a bad 20-pin connector on the mobo.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Well I know all of those machines are hardware specific (At least DDR machines are) and replacing one part without a specific knowledge of it can lead to problems.

I unfortunately don't have any more input on it. Good luck with it though :good:

kamahlrf

Well the mobo we replaced it with runs off the same drivers for everything, so it SHOULDN'T have any problem. Just trying to figure out the no power situation