All hail OEM! wait a sec.. who the hell is OEM?

JohnDoH!

(O)rientally (E)rected (M)achines! Sweatshops banzi! But seriously what is OEM? To put it simply, its parts without a box/manual, right? It cant be installed on other computers, right? As far as I know the term OEM has been associated with pretty much any computer component, OEM this, OEM that; for an intermediate computer builder OEM is a (budget friendly) dream come true, but what is OEM?

If I purchase an OEM hard-drive and install window xp on it, can it be unscrewed, pop'd out and installed onto another computer? What makes a computer different from the other? Say I installed a few OEM products to the computer I'm using now, but I decide its time to build a new computer so I have to figure out what I can salvage. Is there anything I can install onto my next computer that's OEM?

a Cpu? a Fan? a PowerUnit? a Case? an Operating System? a Software? a Printer? a Motherboard? a Ram? an Optical drive? a FloppyDisk Drive? a Mouse? a Keyboard? a Speaker? The pretty sticker that came with my CPU! Can I atleast slap that onto my new computer?

Say I have to or want to reformat my computer (because im lazy memorizing and deleting things on my computer that I dont need), will that make all the oem's installed on my computer unusuable? Is there a reason why one shouldnt purchase OEM's? If I upgrade my OS from xp to vista will that do anything? Oh the questions, OH MY! OH MY! Wheres the sticky thread for OEM!

Last edited:

Verve

that just makes my head spin... friendly suggestion, try paragraphs next time, its much easier to read, i.e. understand what you're asking.

jimmymac

VIP Member
OEM is original equipment manufacturer.

OEM products are available in pc parts from mayn retailers and it basically means that your not getting most of the extra bits.

for instance a HDD would come probably without the box, data cables etc

CPU without the HSF

Mobo without the I/o port and cables.

They are still the same products though and can be used in the same way that any can.

pdc76

if you are a manufacturer, and are building, say, 200 computers for an office in midtown manhatten, there's no reason why you need 200 manuals for a cd drive. you can save alittle by buying oem if you don't need a box or a manual, or even a driver disk (we all know where to get the drivers).