All Kinds of problems

Patton101

I recently threw together a computer using some parts from my old one and some new. I used a Chaintech SPT800 motherboard with a P4 2.8 , Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm 120 gig hardrive, Samsung Dvd-rom sd-616E, Teac DVD+RW DV-W58E, windows xp pro. When I turned it on everything seemed fine, windows xp installed just fine. As I began to use it more I started to notice that my usb didn't work right. Using a usb mouse it would just turn off and I would have to reboot to make it work again. I got a ps2 adapter and that works ok for now but if I use anything else with the usb like my mp3 player it will just stop working. Then I went to burn a cd and it copied extremely slow like at 1/4 of its total speed. When I try to burn a dvd it just gives me a error after about 2 minutes into the copy. I went and checked in the properties and they are stuck in pio mode even though the use DMA if available is selected. Any compressed file i download off the internet becomes corrupt no matter what. I can download it and use it right then and it works but if I leave it for say 20 minutes and come back it will be corrupt. I am basically at a loss. I have ran the hardrive test from seagate and all the test say its working perfect. I have read up on some of the issues and tried what they suggest to fix the problem and honestly nothing seems to work.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Then I went to burn a cd and it copied extremely slow like at 1/4 of its total speed.
What speed did you burn at?

When I try to burn a dvd it just gives me a error after about 2 minutes into the copy.
What error? Sounds like a DMA/PIO issue

I went and checked in the properties and they are stuck in pio mode even though the use DMA if available is selected.
Sounds like you need to goto BIOS and set the drives to allow for DMA :)

What PSU do you have?

Patton101

I selected the audio cd's to burn at 32x but instead they burned at like 4-8x. Dma is selected in the bios. I wonder if I just got a crappy motherboard and if a new one would help with these problems. PSU is a cheap 400 watt :(

Patton101

Yep I installed everything that came with it. Any ideas on what would make all my compressed files corrupt in a matter of minutes after downloading them? Would that be a hardrive issue? I ran the seagate test programs and they said everything was fine but i'm not sure.