All messed up

disbanded

I have a 640 Gig hard drive. So, you say I need to do a fresh install no matter what? Is there no way to get around that?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you remember what partition sizes was made on that drive? The only other thing I can tell you to do is to run a disk diagnostic on that drive to see if maybe the drive is somehow corrupt. If that don't fix it then put that drive in a good system find out what partitions are available by doing into disk management.

disbanded

I didn't set up the hard drive, my computer guy did, so I don't know exactly how it is set up. Can I ask you how to run the disk diagnostic?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
First thing I would need to know is the brand of hard drive.. seagate, western digital, hitachi, samsung? I need to know so i can have you download the right utility.

disbanded

I burned the ISO file - only to now get hung up at the Boot from cd screen. I choose to start from cd, but it hangs where I am supposed to press any button to boot from cd.

Thanks again for all your help on this.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As long as you got it set to boot to cd/dvd first in bios then the cd will automatically run, no need to press a button.

disbanded

Did that and it still hangs at the Boot from CD screen. I guess I could try to re-burn the cd, but when I explore the cd on my laptop the ISO file is there.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You don't just copy the iso file to a cd. The iso is an image file, you must use burning software to actually burn the image file to cd, if done correctly it will have more than one file on that cd, in fact there will be 5 files all together. Find the option in your burning program where it says burn image.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Again, you might want to put that drive in another system and go into disk management to detemine whats up with the balance of the drive. You may or may not have partitioned the balance of it and you have a blank drive to install windows on. It's kind of hard to tell you what to do when you weren't the one to set the drive up.

disbanded

I don't really have another computer to try the drive out, so I may end up having to take it back to my computer guys when they are open again next week.

I wonder if I should email them and see if they know how they set it up. When I talk to them, what would you recommend I say regarding the hard drive? I know very little about hard drive stuff.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't call them much of computer guys if they can't set up your hard drive correctly. Since you only have a 131gb partition out of the 640 gb drive, either they didn't set it up properly for you or something happened to the other partitions( which using disk manager would tell you if they were even made. But since you don't have another computer to put the drive into, we have no idea whats going on.

disbanded

So, I guess I am stuck for now?

And regardless of the size of the partition on the drive, I still can't get it to repair. I never get the option to repair windows xp, but it only shows the size of the partition and won't let me go any farther unless I want to reformat, which I don't.

Oh, I wanted to ask you about hitting F2 to use the Automated System Recovery when I boot from my Windows upgrade cd.

I read somewhere that if all else fails, run the Automated System Recovery.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The automated recovery is only if its set up. In your case, I highly doubt that it is. The reason why you don't see the repair option in your case is because there it looks like there is only 1 active partition and windows is not on it. You have a blank drive, you would have to do a fresh install. But without hooking your drive to another computer to find out how the rest of the drive is setup, i can't tell you what to do. Most likely you have formatted your drive and lost your installation of windows, unless you know how your drive was set up. How about putting your drive in a friends computer?

disbanded

I will see if anybody is around this weekend to help me.

As far as the Windows not being set up on the partition I am showing, I don't know what it was showing before, but Windows always worked until I got this virus, and that is when all this went haywire. Could the virus format the partition that Windows was on?

While using the Malwarebytes and Hijack to rid my computer of this junk, I think I was asked to restart, but haven't been able to start back up since.