All Night

Marphill

How wise is it to leave your computer on almost always (i.e. turning it off for maybe half an hour a day)?

S

sumukh

If your computer is connected to net, it is better to switch it off to avoid spyware/adware, trojan problems. Also if you are not using it, what is the point in keeping it on?

Regards

Sumukh

Geoff

VIP Member
Well, i always keep mine on at night and during the day, and im connected to the net. I listen to the XM radio online at night, and during the day i use LogMeIn from other computers to get to my computer, but i dont think it does much harm, although if you did it for years and years, then the parts would eventually die out.

BishBosh

How wise is it to leave your computer on almost always
It used to be the case that switching on and off repeatedly would cause premature hardware failure, however, modern components are much more resilient so don't worry about it from a hardware lifetime point of view.

sumukh has a valid point from the software point of view ..
If it left running and connected "always on" to the net you ought to run a firewall blocking all ports you don't need open.
And ensure you are current with all security patches.

So you can either leave it running or powered only when in use .... depends on who pays the utility bills I guess ;)

Works for me.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
It used to be the case that switching on and off repeatedly would cause premature hardware failure, however, modern components are much more resilient so don't worry about it from a hardware lifetime point of view.
Yeah i think its been what, 15 years since that's actually been a serious issue? ;)

rjkengr

i leave mine on all the time. i think i've had my instant messenger on for 2 weeks straight now off and on with an away message when not there.