Am I being scammed?

Bowman

I sent my HP computer to be serviced by Microcenter (I had a warranty with them.) I told them that there were two problems with the computer. First, the wireless would die after a few minutes of use. Second, the screen would go white and get covered with bright horizontal bars, which would then disappear when I nudged the screen back and forth. They said it would take 2 weeks to fix. When 2 weeks went by, I called them. They said that they had to replace the motherboard and were waiting for a new one to arrive. Does this sound reasonable? I certainly wasn't expecting this to be a problem with the motherboard, but I really don't know too much about the innards of a computer. I'm starting to fear that they'll take out my motherboard, sell it, and stick me with an inferior one. Is that possible or even likely?

ganzey

banned
it depends. if the wireless was bad, and it was integrated into the motherboard then it could be. are you paying anything for this to be done or is it free cause of the warranty?

I'm starting to fear that they'll take out my motherboard, sell it, and stick me with an inferior one. Is that possible or even likely?

not likely, because computer manufacturer's (like hp, dell, etc) put extremely low end motherboards in their computers anyway

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well it could be theyre just waiting on some more boards to come in,personally if it was my machine that was under warrenty.... and it messed up like yours have i would demand a direct replacement....not a repaired system.

How long did they say it could take?

Bowman

They said 2 weeks. And trust me, I am pissed. It's been 2 and a half, though the holidays may be at fault. I wanted to get it back before school started. So much for that; it starts monday. >.>

PabloTeK

HP always have problems with spares, I've had no laptop for nearly 3 months before due to a parts shortage. If the graphics are going wierd then the graphics chip is probably going to have to be replaced, these are in 99.9% of laptops soldered to the motherboard anyway.

Dizzy714

not likely, because computer manufacturer's (like hp, dell, etc) put extremely low end motherboards in their computers anyway

So I most likely have a low end motherboard in my Dell? They put a pretty good processor in mine, an i7.

ganzey

banned
So I most likely have a low end motherboard in my Dell? They put a pretty good processor in mine, an i7.

*ignores the threadjack*

yes, they always put low mobos in to save on the cost. its still a good motherboard, but lacks some of the features of higher end boards, like extra pci-e slots, which means no sli or xfire

bomberboysk

*ignores the threadjack*

yes, they always put low mobos in to save on the cost. its still a good motherboard, but lacks some of the features of higher end boards, like extra pci-e slots, which means no sli or xfire

And cheapened power delivery, and cheaper caps, and basically cheaper everything.

Bodaggit23

Is that possible or even likely?

That's bogus. For such a major issue with the product, the whole unit should have been replaced, and not repaired.

Depends though, if the manufacturers warranty was up, and you're claiming on a Microcenter extended warranty, I guess you're stuck.