Am I the only one who still uses DVD-RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Nope. I haven't burned a CD or DVD for storage purposes since I got my first flashdrive in 2006.

Geoff

VIP Member
Single layer DVDs only hold 4.7GB, so in this day and age they are basically useless, especially with 128GB+ flash drives being relatively cheap. Even Blu-Ray has it's limited uses, although I did backup my data to Blu-Ray using at least 15 discs a year ago as a fail-safe backup.

aldan

think you mean dvd-rom,thats your burner.i still burn the odd dvd and still like my music on cd,but burn a quarter of what i did 5 years ago.

Geoff

VIP Member
think you mean dvd-rom,thats your burner.i still burn the odd dvd and still like my music on cd,but burn a quarter of what i did 5 years ago.
DVD-RAM is a DVD media format, similar to DVD-R or DVD+R.

The VCR King

Can DVD-RAM be used as actual RAM memory? Like, alongside my current RAM sticks, can DVD-RAM be used as RAM too?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I'm trying to think of a good analogy for this. Unfortunately I cannot think of anything right now.

In the end, no. Even if it could it would be way too slow.

beers

Staff member
I'm trying to think of a good analogy for this. Unfortunately I cannot think of anything right now.

In the end, no. Even if it could it would be way too slow.

You need to move a 10,000 sq foot warehouse across the country.
You are given a red Radio Flyer wagon.
Good luck.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Can DVD-RAM be used as actual RAM memory? Like, alongside my current RAM sticks, can DVD-RAM be used as RAM too?

If you could, it would be SLOW. No point. If you want to use disks, just get a Blu-ray burner. But I mean you can get like a 64gb USB memory stick for cheaper then 15 bucks. I would use a USB stick before having a bunch of stuff on CD/DVDs.

The only time I ever use DVDs (haven't used CDs in a few years) is if I burn something for someone else and giving it to them. Like Geoff above I do still burn large stuff to Blu-ray that I put up and keep.

Geoff

VIP Member
A 16x DVD-RAM can transfer at speed up to 21.13MB/s. A module of DDR3-1600 is 12.6GB/s.

Does this put it into perspective?

Geoff

VIP Member
Not to mention, optical media has a much lower number of rewrites before they begin to fail than solid state flash.

ScottALot

Not to mention, optical media has a much lower number of rewrites before they begin to fail than solid state flash.

Also factor in errors associated with optics, moving parts, heat... if you could get it going, you'd have a computer whose HDD cache file is faster than its RAM for a time period on the order of minutes.

just a noob

Also factor in errors associated with optics, moving parts, heat... if you could get it going, you'd have a computer whose HDD cache file is faster than its RAM for a time period on the order of minutes.

I've been wasting my money all this time buying RAM when I could have just been buying HDD's!

Status
Not open for further replies.