AMD 2800+ barton or AMD 2600+ mobile

72montecarlo

A friend of mine is going to be building a computer coming up here real soon and ive got a brilliant plan Basically im not to happy with the overclockability of my current 2800+ barton cpu and i know the mobiles your able to overclock the piss out of. so this friend of mine im thinking might purchase a 2600 mobile for 100$ and i give them my 2800+ barton that was 130$. I wont be rippin them off since it will be faster then what they originally were gonna get and i know she has no interest in overclocking her computer and frying it. As you can see here on newegg http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-103-436&depa=0 its only 100$ and from the reviews it should probably be able to hit 2.5ghz on just air cooling. Can anyone think of why this wouldnt be a good idea or why i should keep my current cpu?
Maybe i should go with a 35 watt 2400 mobile over the 45watt 2600. whats your thoughts?

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Basically im not to happy with the overclockability of my current 2800+ barton cpu and I know the mobiles your able to overclock the piss out of.
You can OC desktop chips to kingdom come too. The XP2500 im running here damn near plays in the 2.5Ghz range no sweat (I'm capped at PC4000 for the memory heehee). Of course OC headroom is specific to the actual parts u've got so you could just be unlucky

72montecarlo

Yeah i guess. my cpu idles most times at like 50celsius and 55under load. its really quite annoying and forget trying to overclock more then 2.3ghz. The mobiles run so much cooler then the desktop versions so nows my chance to get rid of this bugger. its not faulty or anything just to hot to OC very well.

72montecarlo

I know there not in danger of damaging anything which is good its just everyone else i know even with stock heatsinks have much cooler temperatures. i have the same stock hsf with crappy thermal compound.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
People with stock coolers and running much lower temps fall into three categories:
- a much lower ambient temps
- running a newer revision of the processor
- are using the mobile version
Your temps are perfectly normal and within spec for a sotck heatsink.