AMD Athlon™64 3400+ vs Intel® Pentium® M 1.6GHz (Dothan)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Im assuming you mean the A64 as used in a mobile configuration (otherwise its a meaningless comparision) and that you're referring to the Athlon64 as opposed to the Ahtlon64Mobile .. hell in either case the Athlon64 comes out ahead in the performance department... then again mobile platforms arent designed for performance but rather, surprise, mobility.

Regarding the Centrino -- if its the Centrino2004 then its a hell of a setup ... not so much if its the Centrino2003. Either way the Centrino is a very nice mobile setup for its cost and heat.

Comes down to what you need/want

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Im assuming you mean the A64 as used in a mobile configuration
You never addressed that assumption.....

Regardless you cant really "compare" ... "in general" (obviously). One is a dedicated mobile chip, the other is an AMD chip. Now if you gave some parameters thats a different story :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ok now that that's decided....to address the NorthwoodCs it would depend on the configuration ... a lot aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand... as i mentioned above... what your criteria are

djjimmy2k2

well i think ill start over...

first ill say that all of the processors are inside laptops that im thinking of buying. now i want to compare the AMD Athlon64 3400+, the Intel P4 3.2GHz and the Intel Pentium M 1.6GHz (Dothan).

im looking for a processor that can run pretty fast. i plan on using programs like photoshop and i dont want to wait too long for it to apply filters etc. ill also be using it for playing games (hopefully all new releases and ones being released in the future). now about battery life, its not a vital thing for it to have a long battery life, a couple of hours would do, but obviously longer would be a bonus cos it might be annoying having to be tied to a adapter every couple of hours. also im not quite sure about the Athlon64 cos ive heard it causes the laptop to run very hot and that shortens the systems lifespan doesnt it?

which processor would you recommend?

kof2000

battery life, pentium m or and of those centrino technology

a 800fsb cpu +1024mb ram would run ur graphic programs and games pretty fast already.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
battery life, pentium m or and of those centrino technology
Pentium M = centrino.

a 800fsb cpu +1024mb ram would run ur graphic programs and games pretty fast already.
No mobile Intel chip runs a 800FSB -- firstly because FSBs are 100Mhz, 133Mhz and 200MHz (you are referring to BUS speed) and secondly because Centronio's run a 400MHZ "FSB"

im looking for a processor that can run pretty fast. I plan on using programs like photoshop and I dont want to wait too long for it to apply filters etc. ill also be using it for playing games (hopefully all new releases and ones being released in the future). now about battery life, its not a vital thing for it to have a long battery life, a couple of hours would do,
In that case, the Athlon64 would be your pairing. Get a laptop cooler and you'll be set :)