AMD CPU And Gigabyte MoBo Compatability

Axeoasis

My system is currently running a Gigabyte M68M-S2P (Socket M2). I've replaced the Evga GeForce GT 440 ( It came with it) With a Nvidia GT 710, It's running 4 GB of RAM with 2x 2GB DDR2 cards (same brand and model),and a RAID 0 with two 250 GB Hard Drives. After upgrading the GPU, i noticed my preformance was still pretty bad, and i already knew why. I'm still running an AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+ that i had fished out of an older HP Pavillion. I've been looking into buying a AMD A6-5400K, but i'm not sure if it's compatable or not because it isn't on the compatibility list for the MoBo. If it isn't compatable, can someone give me a link to something decent that is? This is a budget build so something cheaper would be nice. here's the CPU i'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113282

beers

Staff member
i noticed my preformance was still pretty bad, and i already knew why
I really expected 'because I put a 710 in my PC' after that sentence ;)

I'd return the 710 with something faster, it really isn't meant for gaming at all. Even on a x2 4800+.

A 5400K won't fit on that motherboard, you'll need a new board, CPU and RAM.

mistersprinkles

APUs are really crap. As far as I'm concerned they have no place in the market. You can do better with a cheap i3 and a used mid-tier graphics card for the same price.
You're going to need to upgrade EVERYTHING. DDR2 is obsolete and 250GB hard drives tells me you got them probably pre-2008 which means they're long in the tooth and prone to failure at this point.
Your power supply might still be good but I'm not sure I'd trust an eight year old power supply (or older)? with new components.

I'd do something like this

i3 6XXX
USED GTX 750Ti or GTX 760 class card (750Ti's can be found for $40 US or less on craigslist/reddit hw swap, etc)
2X4GB DDR4
Low end H170 board
500-600W Bronze rated or better power supply. You won't NEED 500W but it's good to have the extra capacity in case you want to put a beefier system in there at a later time
1TB HDD (Seagate ST1000 or WD Blue or Black (best))
128-256GB SSD
Win 10 X64

That will give you a low-end gaming capable machine. If you want an actual decent gaming machine swap out the i3 for an i5 and swap the 750Ti for a GTX 1060 or an RX480.

Axeoasis

I'd return the 710 with something faster, it really isn't meant for gaming at all. Even on a x2 4800+.

The system isn't really meant a gaming rig. I do play league a bit when I'm not at work (it gets about 70+fps on the highest settings actually, although LOL isn't that intensive). I don't really have the funds to replace all 3 of the components you listed (I've already looked into it that option). I just need a better CPU than my board currently has.