Another SATA problem

bcherb2

Ive read quite a few SATA problems that are similar, but I cant find one with exactly my problems. Heres my setup

Chaintech VFN3-250 mobo [amd64 3200+ 2x512@400mhz memory]
IDE0 - Master - Maxtor 80gb IDE **[old boot drive]**
IDE0 - Slave - WD "Deathstar" 45gb IDE
IDE1 - Master - WD 20gb IDE
IDE1 - Slave - DVDRW IDE
IDE2 - Master - Maxtor 120gb SATA **[new boot drive]**
IDE3 - Master - None

Heres the problem, when all this is like it apears above, I get an error after the "Verifing DMI Pool..." to "INSERT VALID BOOT DISK" or whatever the exact message is. If I unplug all of the IDE0 then I can boot normally with the SATA into windows, the IDE1 channel works fine. However if I unplug IDE0-Master but leave IDE0-Slave, I get a windows cannot start, corrupt file <windows>/hal.dll warning.

So, since I can boot into windows I dont need drivers Im assuming, and I know nothing corrupt since I can take IDE0 out again and still boot, so whats the problem here????

Ive tried messing around with the BIOS in every possible way it seems :-/

HELP!

Thanks,
Ben

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Heres the problem, when all this is like it apears above, I get an error after the "Verifing DMI Pool..." to "INSERT VALID BOOT DISK" or whatever the exact message is. If I unplug all of the IDE0 then I can boot normally with the SATA into windows, the IDE1 channel works fine. However if I unplug IDE0-Master but leave IDE0-Slave, I get a windows cannot start, corrupt file <windows>/hal.dll warning.
Did you have all those drives installed before you installed Windows or did you have a few, install windows and then add the others?

bcherb2

Ive tried both ways, its worked once wth those drives installed, then I didnt change any settings and rebooted and it never worked again...go figure.

But yes been installed with all the drives and with just the sata, ide1M&s.

Dont see why that should matter much though.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ive tried both ways, its worked once wth those drives installed, then I didnt change any settings and rebooted and it never worked again...go figure.
Well the difference between the two possibilities i mentioned is that the latter might require a reinstallation.

bcherb2

The first time it didnt work, I only installed the sata and the IDE1 channel, and it did work fine, then I added the IDE0 and it wouldnt at all. Reinstalling windows would make it work?

bcherb2

OK, so I just said forget sata as boot, so I did a raid setup with 2 of my ide drives. Everything was ok until I took the windows cd out of the drive, now it says "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". When I put the windows cd back in it boots fine. Im missing the problem here but its affecting everything!

Any ideas??