Any upgrades if any?

Imaruki

Alright, in my siggy is my current system. All these parts were ordered from http://newegg.com recently and have been put together, so what I want to know is what should I save up for next? I have an unlimited budget as of now because I'm just gonna save up to get whatever comes out next that's better. I use this machine now for server, gaming, multimedia editing, it hosts one of my websites, and some of it's a "place holder" for websites I'm working on for my customers.

Last edited:

Imaruki

Praetor said:
1. A 16pipe, 512MB video card.
2. A NF4 mobo

And u run a business? ..........................
No, I do computer consulting around the neighborhood. The 512MB video card I saw is for stuff like AutoCAD and things like that.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The 512MB video card I saw is for stuff like AutoCAD and things like that.
I didnt mean those cards (and they usually dont have 16 pipes either) ... like i meant about the upcoming gaming cards with 512MB :) (overkill yes but just a dream/thought heehee)

jcline

Looks like a great system already, but I would consider a 74GB raptor as a system drive and your current HDD as secondary. Maybe even buying and additional 400GB Hitachi and setting up a RAID 0...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Do you really need to upgrade that? Let's not get too carried away...
Oh definitely not :p But if you look at the rest of the system, its just begging to "fit" :)

Looks like a great system already, but I would consider a 74GB raptor as a system drive and your current HDD as secondary. Maybe even buying and additional 400GB Hitachi and setting up a RAID 0...
Curious.
1. Why not Rapto36 ... they're faster if thats what you're going for
2. Why RAID0? There's an almost insignificant performance boost for most users (even finicky ones) and to put 400GB "on the line" (with respect to the unreliability with some, *cough* Promise *cough* RAID controllers.... a fairly big risk) :)

jcline

they're faster if thats what you're going for
Faster? Last time I checked, they were the same speed...I recommend the 74 because of personal preference. I use this drive for OS and all app installs.

You may be right about the 800 in RAID 0 though, although I do not agree w/ the almost insignificant performance boost...I notice. The fact is, everything you can do to provide "almost insignificant performance boost" adds up to a noticeable difference.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I wanna get the FX-57 when it comes out, but AMD said it wouldn't be until 2005 though...
Obviously, its still end of the year and the start of the christmas/new year shopping season ... introducing multiple flagship chips would kill sales :)